Briggs & Stratton 5 hp outboard *new purchase

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised! The B & S outboard didn't sound as loud as I had been led to believe!

It looks like the motor is in new condition. Now, I want to know the truth...had the motor already been warmed up when you started it with one pull in the first video?? :lol: :lol:

I think you got a good motor!

Old Bill said:
I'm surprised! The B & S outboard didn't sound as loud as I had been led to believe!

It looks like the motor is in new condition. Now, I want to know the truth...had the motor already been warmed up when you started it with one pull in the first video?? :lol: :lol:

I think you got a good motor!

No It was cold start.

People always say they are super easy to start and I admit they are.

PBW:

Has this motor been working well for you? Have you done any modifications to it? I am seriously thinking about getting one of these little motors and am wondering about their performance, reliability, etc. I was really impressed with the vids you posted...Thanks.

shootisttx said:
PBW:

Has this motor been working well for you? Have you done any modifications to it? I am seriously thinking about getting one of these little motors and am wondering about their performance, reliability, etc. I was really impressed with the vids you posted...Thanks.

Yes its ran very well, just be prepared to replace the pull cord as the stock one is cheap!

Has B&S stopped making these motors? I have noticed that they are no longer in the stores. Wonder what this means for parts, etc.?

shootisttx said:
Has B&S stopped making these motors? I have noticed that they are no longer in the stores. Wonder what this means for parts, etc.?

The people I have talked to say yes,they have went out of production.They feel that parts will be out in a few years.There hasn't been any real demand for parts,but these engines haven't been around that long.It sad to see a good little motor go away.I was looking for one for my boat.

Captain Ahab said:
PBW - Is that engine water cooled?

IF SO:

Never ever never start the outboard without hooking up a water source!

If you are gonna test it in the driveway, hook a hose up to the intake (if the engine is fitted with an external hookup) or use muffs.

Get a good flow of water going and once started, make certain that the engine is pushing water out the "pee" port.

Also, never run the engine above idle when flushing - you can do some serious damage real fast.

Finally, after you stop the engine keep the water on until the engine is cool

Outboard-Engine-Flushing-Muffs-medium.jpg
i was thinking the same thang lol

daltonmcgill said:
Captain Ahab said:
PBW - Is that engine water cooled?

IF SO:

Never ever never start the outboard without hooking up a water source!

If you are gonna test it in the driveway, hook a hose up to the intake (if the engine is fitted with an external hookup) or use muffs.

Get a good flow of water going and once started, make certain that the engine is pushing water out the "pee" port.

Also, never run the engine above idle when flushing - you can do some serious damage real fast.

Finally, after you stop the engine keep the water on until the engine is cool

Outboard-Engine-Flushing-Muffs-medium.jpg
i was thinking the same thang lol
It's air cooled. That matters not. The advantage of that may be running in shallow water where you will constantly be breaking the surface, and having to run real shallow.

I have this motor on my 14' jon boat and has performed very well. It is easy to start and is very fuel efficient. I start mine before launching to warm the engine up a little to make sure it will run right and will start with one pull of the rope when launched. I do not know how fast it pushes my boat but I get to where I want to go. I'm in no hurry anyway. It has different trim positions but I have not experimented with any so I might be able to gain some speed if I would. Sorry to hear they are no longer in production but I would think that if a problem arose with the engine you could take it to a lawnmower shop to get it repaired. Probably would not be the case if something happened with the lower unit part of the motor, would need to go to an outboard motor repair shop.
I really like my motor and think you will be happy with yours. Congradulations on your find.

i love mine .its on a 12ft sears v.parts are easy to get and easy to work on if need be. i ran all over the lake here for six days fishing and used only 2 gal of gas.when i bought mine i had to look all over to find it. every place that had them could not keep them in stock was selling out a fast as they got them in.i sure have fun starting it a lauch while get it ready and all the others wait til in water.i even leave the lauch after i load with it running to get gas out of it .

Only bad part about I have heard about these motors is that they are not designed, nor advertised, for use in salt/brackish water.