Bunks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
I did new bunks for a friend, He bought pressure treated 2 x 4's, indoor outdoor carpet, liquid glue and we screwd the carpet to the 2 bys. I got second thoughts about the liquid glue. I was thinking bout unscewing the carpet and shooting in a bead of silicon along the seams, sounds like a game plan? Let me know if you think I should do this.

From what I've read about re-doing bunks, a majority of the people recommended not placing any carpet past the sides of the boards. This is to allow water to drain better and not be trapped between the carpet and boards and cause premature rotting (of the carpet and/or boards).

I didnt know that, he has a nitro and I went with the way the existing carpet was(wrapped around). I'm not familar with carpet but this I/O had a thin rubber backing on it, I guess all I/O carpet does.

Ditto to what WW said.

Also, glue is not needed so long as you have enough screws. Most trailers simply have SS staples holding the carpet on the bunks.

I used PT 2x4 and put cutting board from wally world on top.
I ripped cutting board with table saw, countersunk stainless steel screws.
No carpet to rot. Slides right off bunks.
Mary

I did exactly what bluegill did on my Grumman trailer. Although I didn't particularly like the slicks on that particular boat trailer combo, I did like how it worked, and will probably replace the brand new carpet on the Yazoo trailer, as it has already ripped with one loading.

bluegillfisher said:
I used PT 2x4 and put cutting board from wally world on top.
I ripped cutting board with table saw, countersunk stainless steel screws.
No carpet to rot. Slides right off bunks.
Mary

Mary - can you post a few pictures please - I love this idea - super slick and no fuss

Latest posts