Bus Bar

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheeseball

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am rigging my jon with nav lights, onboard lights, and a bilge pump. All of these will be connected to a 20 amp fused switch panel. I will also connect a tm to the same battery but on its own circuit. My question is, would it be ok to make +/- bus bars for the lights and bilge pump out of 1/2" copper pipe mounted on a non conductive material?

Sure a copper pipe will work for a bus bar, to an extent. It is thinner than a solid bus bar would be so you couldn't thread the holes. If you are using nuts on the back side it would be okay. Be careful, if you over tighten the nuts you run the risk of squishing (technical electrical term) the pipe and loosening the connections though. To get around that you could flatten the pipe first and then drill holes for your screws. Personally I would recommend a solid piece of copper stock with threaded holes so you won't have to need to gain access to the back to remove the nuts.

Just thought of another way with the pipe (still flattened) that you wouldn't need to access the back when disconnecting loads. Screw goes in from the back, flat washer and nut on the front and then a second nut holds the terminal lug on the stud. You will still need fuses for individual circuits.

sledge.gif

Why not just get a couple buss bars from a local electric supplier?They wouldn't need to be very big.Sometimes solid copper stock can be found at hobby stores and craft shops.

Captain Ahab said:
Cheese ball - How are you going to do this with a copper pipe - i am confused?

Like this.

busbar.gif

Flounderhead, I didn't think about how thin the wall of the pipe would be. Don't ya think I could screw into holes with out tapping, since it is so thin?

ben2go said:
Why not just get a couple buss bars from a local electric supplier?They wouldn't need to be very big.Sometimes solid copper stock can be found at hobby stores and craft shops.

I've yet to find one at a local shop. The ones online I've been looking at are about $20+, I have a hard time spending good cash on something that I could make myself out of stuff I have laying around. (I'm a bigtime pack rat)

But, I may for the sake of making things easy break down and buy one.

Cheeseball said:
Captain Ahab said:
Cheese ball - How are you going to do this with a copper pipe - i am confused?

Like this.

busbar.gif

Flounderhead, I didn't think about how thin the wall of the pipe would be. Don't ya think I could screw into holes with out tapping, since it is so thin?

The problem I think you will run into is that you will be hard pressed to get the screws tight enough without stripping the thin wall (copper being a soft metal) and there is less screw being gripped by the copper that your connections will loosen up easily.

By making a little change to your drawing I am showing a flattened pipe with screws inserted from the back and a washer and double hex nuts on the front. Terminal lugs for your loads would go between the hex nuts.

busbar.gif

Yes, I'm still here, progress on my boat is going slow but I have made a little head way on the buss side project. Here's what I've come up with so far.

I still need to hammer the pipe flat and drill holes for the studs, but you get the idea.

Buss1.jpg

Another angle...

BussProfile.jpg

These two SS self tapping screws will screw in to back side of the back seat, under a deck.

SSSelftap.jpg

This is the cover

BussCover.jpg

Here's the buss bar with the cover slid on.

BusswCover.jpg

I'll post more pics when I get it installed.

Latest posts