Buying and Modding a 12' Flat Bottom Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taitor

Reaction score
Me and my buddy are buying a 12' jon boat that is actually in very good condition. But we are still wanting to mod this with a front and back deck. So we came up with this sketch. We are still wanting to put a livewell in and were wondering if anyone had any thoughts or any tips to help us out. Thanks for the help. We will only be fishing on small lakes, ponds, and rivers. So we are just going to use the trolling motor that is on it.

jonboatmock-up-1.jpg

After thinking about it. I would like to have a little more room in the rod cabinet. So i did a little sacrificing.

jonboatmock-up2.jpg

Its a 12, you got good ideas, how wide? there is a lot of build on your plan ( lot of weight added)
Looks good if you can get it all in, but 2 people in a 12, + all of the mod, it would have to be at least 42/45 wide. Just my opinion, take a look at my current mod(link below) and Welcome to the site, use the search option for a lot of info.

Thanks for the responses. I am actually picking up the boat tomorrow so I can get exact dimensions. For now here are the pictures of the boat. It is a lowe jon boat btw. Also I plan on using wood not steel so that should make it a little lighter. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

IMG00006-20100406-1541.jpg

IMG00007-20100406-1542.jpg

Thanks again for all the help.

Pretty much everything in the sketch will be sized down a little bit. I probally made is a little to wide. Also I am thinking about putting the livewell where the cooler is and finding another place for the cooler. I know its a lot of stuff but I'm praying to god it all comes together. My grandfather will be helping me and he is an excellent carpenter and loves to do this kind of stuff. If you have any other suggestions on where to put the live well or anything else please lmk. Thanks again.

I suggest putting it in the water and fishing out of it with 2 people before you jump into the middle of a bunch of mods.

You will need to see how the boat sits in the water and how it reacts with two people moving around before you add a bunch of weight and raise your center of gravity.

I definitely will do this. I was planning on taking it out on a local pond and trying it out. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the lowering of the seats tip. That should make it for stable correct?

Going to need a 14' to do half of that IMO - not being a jerk, just realistic. I think a 12 is too small for almost anything but a low floor and some front storage (but not a casting deck).

taitor said:
I respect your opinion but I still plan on proving you wrong ;)

I hope you do. I was referring to the safety aspect, however. I don't doubt the mods can be done, but with weight and space, I don't want anyone getting hurt.

You can do mods while keeping the decks lower, my rig will have a front deck up 5 inches that is all, the back will not be raised. I will also keep my back seat low till I get to fishing, then put a 7 inch post in. the higher you go the tippiest i'll get, did the guy who sold it to you use it like in the photos with 2 people? I would want to know that, you dont have the width to seat 2 up that high I think, it defies gravity.

Just bought the boat. Came with a brand new trolling battery. And a trolling motor. Everything is in very good shape. I am taking it to my grandfathers next weekend and we are going to work on the deck.