can I get by with just one battery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmwsc

Reaction score
I know this isn't totally relevant to tin boats but I've been looking at battery information so long it's giving me a headache and I hope you guys can help me out. I have an older Bayliner Capri that I need a battery for. It has an OMC 2.3 inboard motor but I'm not sure what the required MCA are (and there isn't very much info online about this motor to help me either). Ideally I'd like to be able to run just a single battery but I don't know enough about the differences between deep cycle and starting batteries to make my own decision. The only thing I really get is that starting batteries aren't designed to be run down. The only electronics on the boat would be the stereo. Would a deep cycle battery be okay to start the motor? I had been considering a group 29 deep cycle that states it has 675 CCA and 840 MCA. I can't imagine that the 2.3 would require this much but how much does a battery get run down when cranking? How quickly will the charging system on the inboard replace what it depleted when cranking?

The reason I'd like to get the deep cycle as well is because I'd be using it for my 12' aluminum boat as well to run the trolling motor. I do understand that the group 29 may be a little heavy (62 lbs) but I can deal with that. Aside from the passengers and the 4hp + trolling motor there isn't much other weight.

Best deal I can find on a group 29 battery is from Advance Auto Parts. The battery is listed at $126 - $40 online ordering code (TRT41 in case anyone is wondering) - $20 in rewards which brings it down to $66.

Dual purpose marine batteries are available. I've never used one, though.

This video might help.
richg99

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-a-Marine-Storage-Battery

hey thanks for that code! I just ordered a deep cycle battery with it.

It would not take the code so I had to contact them and they entered it manually but I did get the discount!

thanks again!!

perchjerker said:
hey thanks for that code! I just ordered a deep cycle battery with it.

It would not take the code so I had to contact them and they entered it manually but I did get the discount!

thanks again!!

Glad it helped! I used it a few weeks ago to do the brakes on my wife's van. Instead of spending $300 on the pads and rotors I split the order up and saved myself $120!