Carb Adjustment

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
I rebuilt the carb on my Johnson 15 last night and now i am adjusting it. along the way i had to replace two plastic parts that are associated with the throttle assembly. They both have setscrews and I am trying to find the correct position to set them. One is a wedge shaped peice that installs under the flywheel that acts as a guide for the other peice to roll on. The other peice is called a cam linkage i think. both original peices were broken so i did not have a reference point. if anyone has any info or a direction to point me in I would appreciate it.

Thanks

There should be a mark on the wedge. Maybe 2 marks, depending on the motor. The roller will be either between them, or on one mark or the other. You need the manual for that motor to adjust those properly - the SELOC and Clymer manuals don't cut it. I don't have the literature needed for that, or I would tell you exactly how it goes. Generally, the set screws adjust the link and sinc, which decides how smoothly the motor runs at high RPMs.

Thanks bassboy,

I know that the setscrews have something to do with the position of the butterfly at WOT. In other words, when adjusted correctly, the butterfly will be completely horizontal. I just have to play with the two to get the best mix of idle and throttle. It seems to be a very simple and efficient setup.

Thanks

Nate said:
Thanks bassboy,

I know that the setscrews have something to do with the position of the butterfly at WOT. In other words, when adjusted correctly, the butterfly will be completely horizontal. I just have to play with the two to get the best mix of idle and throttle. It seems to be a very simple and efficient setup.

Thanks
That is pretty much it. The lines are a good starting point from which to go from. Supposedly, the factory manuals have very detailed link and sinc instructions, so it gets the trial and error aspect out. I, however, have never actually gone by the book and bought the book to do that correctly, and just play with it.

Latest posts