Carb Rebuild...?'s PLEASE HELP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatsFisher12

Reaction score
I just bought a 9.9 1995 johnson short shaft. Put a bad tank to it and got crap in the carb... i rebuilt the carbs on a '74 50 horse and im hoping I can do tyhe same here... any helpful comments on how to go about it or what not to touch/ mess with would be greatly appreacited.
They said they just replace the carb before i bought it so the internals should be good? not need replacing?

thanks for any help

as long as theres no cracks, and all the threads are ok you shouldnt need a new carb.

get a can of carb clean, and a tental pick to clear the jets. a toothbrush works good too when your cleaning a carb that had all the gas evaporate out of it. just rember to write down how many turns it took to unscrew the jets and what not.

goodluck, shouldnt have any trouble with it

Is there any source of education for doing this sort of thing? I have a 9.9 gamefisher that doesn't like to idle. A friend told me the the carb has a low throttle jet and high throttle jet and the low throttle jet is probably a little clogged (something to that effect :p). He told me I should take the carb off and clean it real good. I don't know the first thing about carbs and how to 'rebuild' them. I'd love to learn if there is a way to learn this stuff!

Moloch16, what year is the Gamefisher? If it's the years
I'm familiar with, it would'nt idle when it was brand new. Outboards of that era just didn't idle well. As far as getting educated, tear it down, clean it up, put it back together. Those carbs, are really simple creatures. You can even use a 12 pack box to make new gaskets (I've done it for years). I use a strand of copper wire to clean the jets, and ports, and good carb. cleaner, for the rest. hope this helps Scott

I took it apart today wasn't that difficult... just make sure you take not of how many turns out the lean/rich mixture screw is before beginning. then un hook the lines and linkages from the carb body, seperate the bowl, make sure the float dosen't stick, the jets are clear and blast all the holes with carb cleaner then re-assemble.
in a nut shell play with it.

Latest posts