Cheapo Motorstand

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbursell

Reaction score
Well, here's my second attempt to post pics. Guess my first try is floating out there somewhere in cyberspace. Anyway, here's another try. Hope it works and I don't crash the site. [-o<
Got this idea from BassBoy 1 and after stumbling across an old walker at an estate sale, figured I would be needing one pretty soon. (Motor stand, not a walker, yet.) Got the walker for a whole buck. I think they were just happy to have somebody haul it off for them. Wal-Mart supplied the plastic casters for less than 3 dollars each. Had some other scrap stuff laying around from other projects around the house, so the whole motor stand comes in for less than 12 bucks.

MotorStandADSCF5186.jpg

MotorStandBDSCF5187.jpg

Scrap piece of 2 X 6 pulled out from an old patio cover because the rest of the board was starting to rot.

MotorStandCDSCF5188.jpg

When you need an extra set of hands, bungee cords are the best thing since sliced bread.

MotorStandDDSCF5189.jpg

Upside down, to mark locations for drilling holes.

MotorStandEDSCF5190.jpg

Couple of lag bolts and washers from the scrap bucket.

MotorStandGDSCF5194.jpg

Hammer and nail set to tap a dimple where you want to drill your holes so the drill bit doesn't slip.

MotorStandHDSCF5197.jpg

Hole through the frame and into the wood to keep everything lined up.

MotorStandHDSCF5198.jpg

Lag bolts and washers to attach the frame to the wooden motor mount. The washers keep the aluminum frame from collapsing.

MotorStandIDSCF5199.jpg

Bottom view of the well worn walker. Don't think they ever heard about the tennis ball trick. Removed all of the rubber feet.

MotorStand1DSCF5201.jpg

Measure from front leg to back leg to get the length of the base.

MotorStandJDSCF5200.jpg

Another piece of scrap from an old door frame. All the nails and caulking were removed, of course.

MotorStand2DSCF5202.jpg

Transfer measurement to scrap door frame and cut two equal lengths.

MotorStandLDSCF5203.jpg

Another piece of scrap 2 X 2 to be attached to each of the door frame pieces.

MotorStandLDSCF5204.jpg

Pre-drilling holes to attach the 2 X 2's to the door frame. Note the pencil line to keep the holes all in a line. I may have gotten into a little bit of overkill in my hole spacing.

MotorStandMDSCF5205.jpg

Attaching the two pieces of the motorstand bases.

MotorStandNDSCF5207.jpg

The bottom portion of the walker legs are removable. Drill a hole approximately one inch from the bottom to attach the legs to the base.

MotorStandPDSCF5209.jpg

Plastic casters from Wal-Mart. I didn't like the way it rolled around with the fixed casters, so I replaced them with swivel casters on all four corners. Much better for moving around now.

MotorStandODSCF5208.jpg

Legs attached to the base and squared up on the floor.

MotorStandSDSCF5212.jpg

Every thing assembled and folded up.

There you have it. Besides holding up the motor, one of the best things about this idea is that when you're not using it, it folds mostly up and can be put out of the way. Thanks again to BassBoy 1 for the inspiration.

That's a lotta work for your motorstand but with all the used walkers floating around yard sales and the Goodwill stores it's a great way to recycle. Hay, as we Boomer's come of age there's gonna be even more walkers. Maybe we can switch em back to walkers when we're past our boating years (God forbid).

Great idea.
What size motor?

Im thinking that wont be strong enough for a 4 stroke, or anything bigger than a 9.9hp 2 stroke.

Hah! I wish a 4-stroke was anywhere close to being in the budget. I'll just be putting an '82 25 horse Evinrude on it while I'm re-painting the boat. I'm just looking at it as a place to keep the motor upright and relatively out of the way while working on the boat. I don't know the weight of the motor, but my thinking is that the load is vertically centered within the walker frame and, for my intentions, there should be very few, if any, lateral stresses. If it crashes on me, I'll post that, too. Over the years, I've learned at least as much from failures as I have from successes.
I do appreciate any input, though.

thanks,

Larry

yea, it should hold a 25hp just fine. I even had a 35hp on mine for a while. I like the casters you put on. If mine had wheels I probably would have kept it.

SDC11975.jpg

great ideas and successful project......I do have trouble trusting somone that has a nice garage with drill press and bech vice and rail road track iron and tools all nice and orderly and stuff still in the original containers......................Sheesh...I spend my time fishing and not worrying about keeping a neat garage....
You are my Idol....................................no I mean that..

Thanks for the compliments, Freetofish (I think). That's the advantage of getting one tool at a time over a period of more years than you realize until you start to think about it. Then, when you step back and take a look, you say "Hey, I got a coupla things here." The drill press is a northern tool or harbor freight mail order special (probably chinese) that I got at least fifteen years ago. You gotta hold your mouth just right to get it to turn on. The chunk of railroad track came from my Grandad's barn after he passed. I got good memories of seeing him use it as a handy, small anvil. It still makes a good, portable place to beat something into submission.

If the weather warms up a little tomorrow, I'm hoping to apply paint to my trailer. Will be posting pics of that process pretty soon.

Latest posts