Checking fluid on power tilt/trim unit?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lower unit??
Have you ever changed the lower unit oil?
Maybe I'll wait to see if this is what your talking about,not hard though,take the screws out ,let it drain out,fill from bottom till comes out top,put bottom screw in,add alittle oil to top hole in case off loss,put other screw in.

No No i actually mean the tilt. I changed the lower unit oil when i bought the boat. You know the mechanical device that tilts the motor up and down(j/k) Anyways yeah i am talking about the tilt unit not the lower unit.

Are you having an issue? You should not have to fill this unit unless it leaks. Also, make sure you take a grease gun to your tilt points at least a few times each season

No i am not having problems just don't want one to start. My truck does not leak oil but i still check it often. Just want to know how to check it.

djchris said:
No i am not having problems just don't want one to start. My truck does not leak oil but i still check it often. Just want to know how to check it.

There shoudl be a fill cap somewhere near the pistons - I have a reservoir located on the stern wall of the boat (which is a PITA to get to). Follow any hydraulic lines if you have those and you will find it.

If you are going to check it, make sure that you check it and add fluid when the piston is fully retracted into the cylinder. Otherwise you risk overfilling the system and blowing your seals.

Latest posts