Cleaning up a bare aluminum boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpalump

Reaction score
What's the best way to clean a dull aluminum hull? I'm afraid if I just scrub on it it may look worse when I'm done. Should I leave it alone or is there a good way to make it look a little newer?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335957#p335957 said:
RAMROD » 05 Dec 2013, 23:30[/url]"]https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29054

See this post.
Thanks I'll give that stuff a try. I cleaned a boat with muratic acid/pool cleaner one time before I painted it. I used Tru-Value hardware store duck boat and blind paint. The was one of the best and longest lasting paint jobs I've ever done. This time I don't want to paint it and I think the pool acid etched the aluminum because it was too strong.

I've used that aluminum cleaner that was in the link above. IIRC, harbor freight had it, purple label, said "aluminum brightener" on it.

I had stripped an entire 1542 Grumman flat bottom, then cleaned it with the aluminum brightener. I ALMOST left it, it looked like literally a brand new boat. But I wanted it camo from day one when I bought it (well...day two actually). So I started in with some home-made patterns and 5 colors of camo paint and it came out wonderful. Dec 31st will be 6 years since I painted it. And it still looks exactly the same as it did then, except for a few scratches where the timber got against it, but it didn't scratch THROUGH the paint, just the surface.

i've also used that aluminum brightener, cut 1:1 with water, for cleaning engines, transmissions, anything aluminum. BUT you have to be careful with it becuase if you leave it on long, it'll turn it black. Works well on dirt-stained bare aluminum engine, transmission, and differential cases ;)

My AC coils needed cleaning so I bought a gallon of Nu-Brite heavy duty condenser coil cleaner with foaming action from WW Grainger. With a spray bottle and tax it was $26 and the wife does not see another marine expense. :lol: It worked great on my outdoor AC coils so I put it on the boat. It foamed up and did a good job so I did it again. It looks like a million bucks from 50' but it left a white chalky residue and looks like a clean trash can up close. Is there a step two that I need to do?

Latest posts