Cold start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sogafishin

Reaction score
I have a 1968 Johnson 20hp thats given me a fit when tryin to start it cold.Seems to flood out easy.When it does finally start it is with the choke off and 3/4 throttle when it spits one time shell start on the next pull..It fires on the first pull and runs excellent for the rest of the day.The guy I purchased it from said he had it serviced right before I got it.I know the place very well and they said they totally went thru it and it was a great motor.Also can electric start be added to it fairly easy? Thanks

I'm not familiar with your motor, but I added a starter to my '62 28hp Johnson. It was very easy because I already had a geared flywheel and starter bracket.
So all I needed was the starter, solenoid, switch and some cables. I found a cheap parts motor on ebay. Pulled the starter and solenoid, then resold the rest.

Sounds a bit like my motor. It will start cold on the first or second pull but if I don't get the choke opened as soon as it starts it will stall then it's a pain to start.
I was told it's running too rich.

I have read more then once that first start on the john-rudes in the 20hp range is a common thing. I was looking for info on how to get mine to startup quicker but finally just gave up and now I just pull until it starts and let it warm up. 1 pull start all day after the first one. I also looked into putting an electric start on mine. The cost is crazy expensive for a flywheel and starter motor mount new and not much better used.

Latest posts