Country Dave’s Lowe 1752 modification/restoration project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333991#p333991 said:
hudflat » Today, 13:57[/url]"]hey Stud :roll: .. i mean Dave, I strongly recommend you not doing the spray rhino liner on your floor it gets really hot. I did the same thing on my alumnium floor and I also painted off -white still was really hot on the bare feet, spend the money on the seadek you know youll like it!

Hud and stud, sounds like an 80s cop show................................. :LOL2:

Hey thanks for looking out bro but its not what you think. This is not the crap in the can that you roll on. Its a 4 step process. First I lightly sand the bare aluminum and clean. Then a base coat of paint, once that sets up then the epoxy gets applied with a spray gun. The epoxy has a type of hard rubberize compound in it. After that cures then I hit it with a sealer.

Its not Rhino lining per say, same type of result yet its has a little give to it. I might mix a little blue in it splats or spider web, not sure. SeaDek on the front and rear decks for sure.

I was able to fab and install the DP trim for the rear section of floor,

I also but the controller harness and throttle cables in a loom and installed a upper section of a gunnel mounted rod holder and ran the loom down through it. Tomorrow afternoon I will start prepping the floor, I hope to have it all prepped and the base coat down weather permitting. Its been pretty nasty here, lots of rain and really windy.

Attachments

• 641.JPG
    641.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 773
  • 640.JPG
    640.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 773
  • 642.JPG
    642.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 773
  • 639.JPG
    639.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 772
Clean lines Dave...
My steering and control cables may have to be on the outside of my console as well, I was trying to figure out how to attack this dilemma but yours looks great.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334074#p334074 said:
smackdaddy53 » Yesterday, 01:34[/url]"]Clean lines Dave...
My steering and control cables may have to be on the outside of my console as well, I was trying to figure out how to attack this dilemma but yours looks great.

Hey thanks Smack,

I was going to try and find some white loom to match the engine harness buy I had this and it looks pretty good. Function first aesthetics second. Overall pretty happy with everything. I spent the majority of yesterday afternoon prepping the floor. Its masked and ready for basecoat. Your build is looking good.

Man I’m all prepped up and no place to go…………………………………. :LOL2:

The floor and sides, “Yes I decided to run the texture up the sides” are all ready for the base coat but it’s been so nasty out “Rainy and windy” that I don’t want spray it yet. Hopefully this weekend.

Country Dave said:
Man I’m all prepped up and no place to go…………………………………. :LOL2:

The floor and sides, “Yes I decided to run the texture up the sides” are all ready for the base coat but it’s been so nasty out “Rainy and windy” that I don’t want spray it yet. Hopefully this weekend.
Get some!

Well I finally got thru the whole thread. Dave, I really want to thank you for this monumental undertaking. Not only the rebuild but the wonderful blow by blow of the whole process. Post like this are what make this a great site and I just wanted to say thanks To Dave and everyone who added to this great thread.
Kenny

Wow thanks Kenny…………………………………………. :oops:

This is a cool forum and great resource for sure. There are some really cool builds on here and I’ve learned a lot. I’ve been around boats my whole life and I’ve owned a bunch of different ones, but besides the 1442 and a pontoon boat I’ve never built/made mods to an aluminum boat before.

I was inspired when I saw Jonboat Jerry’s build. He is the “Jedi Master”……………….......... =D> and a few others like fool4fish "A Little Snookered" There are a couple that really stood out to me. The only thing I knew for sure going in was, I was going to have to build the crap out transom and put on the float pods because of the big motor. Other than that I kind of just made everything up as I went along…………………………………….. :LOL2:

I’m not saying I didn’t think everything through, sure I did. I mean I didn’t know in advance everything that I was going to do. I’m very thankful to have this resource and I enjoy the camaraderie, I’ve made a few friends and apparently a couple, well let’s just say not so friendly people but hey this is the WWW you kind of almost have to expect that,
Thanks for taking the time to post and again thanks, its much appreciated brother…………………………….. :mrgreen:

Well it’s become apparent I’m not going to be able to spray the base coat or anything else for that mater this weekend,

The weather is still pretty chitty, windy and raining all weekend from what I understand……………………….. #-o I did go and pick up my new lower unit from Yamaha this morning, it came with a water pump and gear lube, pretty cool…………………… :mrgreen: I also got some 8 gauge wire in a casing for the trolling motor.

Picked up a single on/off switch as well. I have a bunch of circuit breakers so I will just but one in between the switch and the T/motor. I will probably just but the switch and the breaker on a piece of starboard like I did with my engine battery switch that’s mounted to the inside of the console. I don’t know if I will run the wiring and mount the switch yet because I don’t won’t to mess up the floor, its prepped and ready to go, I don’t know we’ll see.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    748.2 KB · Views: 613
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    782 KB · Views: 613
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 613
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334659#p334659 said:
hudflat » Today, 08:57[/url]"]did i miss something, why did you need a new lower unit?

You didn't miss anything brother,

This motor was on another boat I had, that boat was in storage. Someone broke in the storage facility and stoled about 25 lower units and I was one of the lucky ones. I've been using a buddy's while mine was on order.

Country Dave said:
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334659#p334659 said:
hudflat » Today, 08:57[/url]"]did i miss something, why did you need a new lower unit?

You didn't miss anything brother,

This motor was on another boat I had, that boat was in storage. Someone broke in the storage facility and stoled about 25 lower units and I was one of the lucky ones. I've been using a buddy's while mine was on order.
Haha

Country Dave said:
That wasn't very nice brother........................... :LOL2:

Have you made any progress on your build this week.
Sorry, I was not laughing at you, just with you if you were laughing.
Taking the boat to the welding shop one more time Tuesday to finish up so I can get it in the water for a float test.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334680#p334680 said:
smackdaddy53 » 49 minutes ago[/url]"]
Country Dave said:
That wasn't very nice brother........................... :LOL2:

Have you made any progress on your build this week.
Sorry, I was not laughing at you, just with you if you were laughing.
Taking the boat to the welding shop one more time Tuesday to finish up so I can get it in the water for a float test.

Hey all good bro, I knew you were just meesin,

I remember my float test, I was nervous as chit. The float pods are worth there weight in gold. At rest she only drafts 6" What are you looking for as far as at rest draft?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335151#p335151 said:
hudflat » 19 minutes ago[/url]"]this is torture what a slow build... its like watching paint dry

Sorry bro,
I've been in Greenville South Carolina since Tuesday. Just got back today. I was at Michelin's Laurens Proving grounds. Helping do some R&D. I should be able to spray tomorrow.

hopefully you can paint on sunday, because it looks like next week's weather is going to be iffy at best. the past few weekends the weather just has been just too windy and I havent been fishing at all its kinda getting to me. :cry:

Ok quick update,
Base coat is on the floor “Thank God” I just didn’t want to spray it with so much rain and moister outside. It looks pretty good but I still have to spray the texture. Pics soon. On another note I’ve decided on my next project……………………………………… :LOL2:

It’s going to be something a little deferent. Its actually going to be two boats custom and purpose built.
1st boat. A super light build that will get me skinny. 1552 prop tunnel. I would like to find that exact hull and it’s not like there are a ton of them just lying around, so I may have to change it up a little. I don’t really want to have to make the hull a tunnel only because I am going to have extensive mods on the 2nd boat, but I will if I have to.

2nd boat. Another tin but it’s not going to be a Jon it’s going to be a bad azz pontoon boat that will serve as a mother ship and the 1552 will ride along on the toon and will be deployed when we arrive at given destinations. Once the skiff is off the deck the pontoon boat will serve as sleeping quarters, mess hall, head complete with hot shower.
I built a pretty cool toon before but I sold it.

Ok Dave,

You have to really hurry up and finish this boat your working on now cause I want to see the super pontoon mega ship.

Mojo

Latest posts