Country Dave’s Lowe 1752 modification/restoration project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I’m going to try and spend as much time as I can with my family over the holidays so with my crazy work schedule it doesn’t leave much time for anything else,

I will press on with the 1752; it’s all but done now. In fact other than the “Seadek” that I am going to outsource I could finish the rest in a weekend weather permitting. After the first of the year I will start sourcing equipment and materials starting with a good Tig/mig welder.

I learned so much from my last pontoon build. Here are a few pics of that build.

Attachments

• Picture_249.jpg
    Picture_249.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 675
  • Picture_256.jpg
    Picture_256.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 675
  • Picture_262.jpg
    Picture_262.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 675
  • Picture_373.jpg
    Picture_373.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 675
  • Picture_416.jpg
    Picture_416.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 675
Very Cool, a mother ship for a tinboat get together......oh wait you said family. I could see that thing resting nicely in the 10000 island area with a bunch of crazy rednecks invading. I cant wait to see what you do.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335398#p335398 said:
bigwave » 28 minutes ago[/url]"]Very Cool, a mother ship for a tinboat get together......oh wait you said family. I could see that thing resting nicely in the 10000 island area with a bunch of crazy rednecks invading. I cant wait to see what you do.

LOL that’s it brother,

We camp on the chickee huts in Oyster Bay, Shark River, Joe River etc, but the problem is you can’t stay on a given chickee for more than one night at a time. That’s why we need a mother ship………………………… :mrgreen: I'm tacking this pic from my boat.

Attachments

• 2230801120103314980S425x425Q85.jpg
    2230801120103314980S425x425Q85.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 669
I will probably spend the first 6 months sourcing equipment and material,

Starting with a good Tig/Mig I have my eye on this one. Going to practice my azz off until my welds look like a roll of dimes. After the welder I will be looking for the Jon hull. The Pontoon boat will be a ground up Tritoon build.

The center log or pontoon if you will is going to be heavily modified with a motor mount built in to the back of it and two compartment in the center log. One that will house the fuel tank and another for storage. Also going add lifting strakes and at least 150HP motor. The deck will be 20x8 the overall length will be 22 ½ I have two big challenges and one of them will be the welds.

I’m a realest and understand you don’t master Tig welding in six mounts. So that will be the biggest challenge but I’m a fast learner and I’m always up for new things and new challenges. The second problematic issues I will have to overcome will be a safe and efficient way to offload and retrieve the skiff from the deck of the toon. I’ve got it down to two possible ways and heavily leaning towards one.

Attachments

• p42429.jpg
    p42429.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 661
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335412#p335412 said:
Badbagger » Today, 13:25[/url]"]That toon will be interesting... anything like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLRwkrBZzsA

LOL Yes and no,

Yes as it’s a “Tritoon” no as I don’t need to go 108MPH although that would be cool…………………………. :mrgreen:
I would gladly put one of those 300 on her but a 150/200 will work good for me.

Lol... should you happen to run across any GREAT deals on a say 150 to possibly a 200 engine with a 25" shaft, holler at me with all the details.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335415#p335415 said:
Badbagger » 26 minutes ago[/url]"]Lol... should you happen to run across any GREAT deals on a say 150 to possibly a 200 engine with a 25" shaft, holler at me with all the details.

BB will do bro,

It’s going to be probably six mounts before this project gets started. I have to try and get somewhat proficient with the TIG. The pontoon build is going to require a bunch of mods and the majority of that will be cutting and welding.

Even before that I want to get started on the Jon hull so it’s going to be sometime out before I even start looking to source a motor for the toon but I will keep my eyes and ears open brother.

Awesome Dave, I'm really looking forward to the pontoon build since I'm a toon fanatic and all! My new southbay chassis is a lot like your talking about, tritoon, lifting strakes, ski locker, big beefy transom (mine is 300hp) but my boat is 27-1/2' long...

a98a83e4689d834c1ae44002d51c91ee.jpg

You might consider just buying the chassis instead of building it... The guy I bought this one from has another just like it right now and he also has a 30'er set up for twin 300's... Or i know another guy who sells pontoon tubes and he often has 20' ears with transoms already built on...

If I was doing what your talking about I'd build a cabin on the stern with A/C and all the comforts of home and keep the front deck open for the skiff.... Something like this but smaller

39cc041f440c37fc72741b0ea2c277d3.jpg

You might also consider this, just a sunbrella enclosure since its removable

f579d2f6fde722710d96d7b06c73912e.jpg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335490#p335490 said:
Mrtoler » Yesterday, 22:42[/url]"]Awesome Dave, I'm really looking forward to the pontoon build since I'm a toon fanatic and all! My new southbay chassis is a lot like your talking about, tritoon, lifting strakes, ski locker, big beefy transom (mine is 300hp) but my boat is 27-1/2' long...

a98a83e4689d834c1ae44002d51c91ee.jpg

You might consider just buying the chassis instead of building it... The guy I bought this one from has another just like it right now and he also has a 30'er set up for twin 300's... Or i know another guy who sells pontoon tubes and he often has 20' ears with transoms already built on...

If I was doing what your talking about I'd build a cabin on the stern with A/C and all the comforts of home and keep the front deck open for the skiff.... Something like this but smaller

39cc041f440c37fc72741b0ea2c277d3.jpg

You might also consider this, just a sunbrella enclosure since its removable

f579d2f6fde722710d96d7b06c73912e.jpg

Hey thanks Ryan,

Thanks for posting the pics. Your toon looks awesome, definitely a great platform to start with. My post may have been unintentionally a bit misleading. It’s not going to a floating living room……………… [-X

It is going to have sleeping quarters but not a permanent structure. They are most likely going to be in the form of a big single or two smaller tents that can be easily assembled/disassembled and removed from the deck. In addition it will have some type of overhead like a removable canvas like in the pic you posted. I have to tow this thing around.

Sink and shower, small generator and A/C that can be pumped in the tent/tents. There will also be a small galley. The deck will only be 20ft long so I have to plan out everything perfect. Small side console so skiff can sit in the middle of the deck. There will be a few challenges I will have to overcome but that’s what makes it fun……………………………….. :LOL2:

I learned so much from my other toon build and all though that one came out pretty cool there are some things I will do differently. Good luck with your build. Why don’t you start a build thread here, it’s not a Jon but it is a tin…………………………….. =D>

Sounds good Dave, let me know if I can help with the toon build....
I will put my new build on here once I start on it, I'm still trying to finish my 1860 so I can sell it and help fund the new toon... I put my last toon build on here also.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335518#p335518 said:
Mrtoler » 22 minutes ago[/url]"]Sounds good Dave, let me know if I can help with the toon build....
I will put my new build on here once I start on it, I'm still trying to finish my 1860 so I can sell it and help fund the new toon... I put my last toon build on here also.

Hey very cool Ryan thank you,

Its going to be six mounts away before I start and I just may have a few questions. Looking forward to seeing your toon build on this forum.

Hi Dave,Im reading deep into these last post's and please correct me if im wrong.. but are you ready to settle down? thats cute that your making a place for the girl to hang out and wait while you fish.. when's the wedding? are you going to sell the 1752 also?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335575#p335575 said:
hudflat » 33 minutes ago[/url]"]Hi Dave,Im reading deep into these last post's and please correct me if im wrong.. but are you ready to settle down? thats cute that your making a place for the girl to hang out and wait while you fish.. when's the wedding? are you going to sell the 1752 also?

LMAO I'm going to correct you, you are wrong,

This cowboy still has a few rodeos left in him..................................... :mrgreen:

I don't have any plans to sell the 1752. If someone waived like 12K in my face I might conceder it but no. You can never have enough boats............................................ :LOL2:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335409#p335409 said:
Country Dave » 27 Nov 2013, 12:27[/url]"]I will probably spend the first 6 months sourcing equipment and material,

Starting with a good Tig/Mig I have my eye on this one. Going to practice my azz off until my welds look like a roll of dimes. After the welder I will be looking for the Jon hull. The Pontoon boat will be a ground up Tritoon build.

I’m a realest and understand you don’t master Tig welding in six mounts. So that will be the biggest challenge but I’m a fast learner and I’m always up for new things and new challenges. The second problematic issues I will have to overcome will be a safe and efficient way to offload and retrieve the skiff from the deck of the toon. I’ve got it down to two possible ways and heavily leaning towards one.
keep your eyes on craigslist too. there are tons of good deals on good machines out there.

after that just stack up material and start practicing. i had the benefit of a mentor but they dont have to look over your shoulder but for the first 30 minutes or so. the rest is you getting used to everything

aluminum is hard to learn on but you will get it. cant beat a guy that doesnt quit.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335580#p335580 said:
typed by ben » 3 minutes ago[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335409#p335409 said:
Country Dave » 27 Nov 2013, 12:27[/url]"]I will probably spend the first 6 months sourcing equipment and material,

keep your eyes on craigslist too. there are tons of good deals on good machines out there.

after that just stack up material and start practicing. i had the benefit of a mentor but they dont have to look over your shoulder but for the first 30 minutes or so. the rest is you getting used to everything

aluminum is hard to learn on but you will get it. cant beat a guy that doesnt quit.

Hey thanks bro,

I am "committed" to learning how to Tig. Not bad with oxygen/acetylene and the Mig wire feed wasn't to bad either but I know Tig is the most default to master. I've been reading everything I can and watching a few videos. First trying to fully understand the right settings, pre and post flow. The right tungsten, right amperage etc. Once I've got a real good understating of that I will start practicing. Thanks for your encouragement................. :mrgreen:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335582#p335582 said:
Country Dave » Yesterday, 15:58[/url]"]

Hey thanks bro,

I am "committed" to learning how to Tig. Not bad with oxygen/acetylene and the Mig wire feed wasn't to bad either but I know Tig is the most default to master. I've been reading everything I can and watching a few videos. First trying to fully understand the right settings, pre and post flow. The right tungsten, right amperage etc. Once I've got a real good understating of that I will start practicing. Thanks for your encouragement................. :mrgreen:
theres nothing like seat time for real. pre and post flow are pretty easy. for a tungsten id stick with 2% thoriated, especially when youre just starting out. there are a few sources out there that tell you pure tungsten but i tried that and blew off probably 5 tips before i got sick of it.

it all depends on your metal thickness though. i was welding .050 AL which is kind of a funny place to be in terms of tungsten thickness.

having a foot pedal is critical for a beginner IMO.

i think youre really going to like it. if you can find a mentor to watch you the first few tries and to ask questions, i think it would serve you well. there are some tricks in terms of starting an arc, metal cleanliness, that sort of thing that you will only learn by trial and error.

Hey dave, IDK if you have seen Jody's videos on you tube.... you probably have. But here is an article from his website Weldingtipsandtricks.com. This guys is top notch and doesn't mind sharing his extensive knowledge.
https://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig-welding-aluminum.html

Hey guys awesome info for sure and much appreciate,
I have been watching some of those YouTube video, I haven’t seen that one yet thanks. That guys really knows his chit……………………………………………….. =D>

I do have a good friend who is a great welder but that’s what he does for a living so I’m not going to bother him and ask him to help me. I do have a few others options, friend of a friend might be willing to teach me. To have a mentor would be the best case scenario but I will learn and get proficient with or without one, just going to take a little longer without one………………………………… :LOL2:
I checked into a class at the local vocational school but it’s not really what I’m looking for. I already know how to gas weld and I do ok stick welding steel, I don’t want to go through the whole class just to learn to Tig. Not to mention they want 4K and with my already crazy schedule there would be time constraint issues.

Latest posts