Country Dave’s Lowe 1752 modification/restoration project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SEXY :LOL2:

Attachments

• 146.JPG
    146.JPG
    372.6 KB · Views: 846
  • 147.JPG
    147.JPG
    724.3 KB · Views: 846
  • 135.JPG
    135.JPG
    382.5 KB · Views: 846
  • 139.JPG
    139.JPG
    791.2 KB · Views: 846
  • 148.JPG
    148.JPG
    797.3 KB · Views: 846
  • 149.JPG
    149.JPG
    415.3 KB · Views: 843
Man that's too funny, I was just about to log in and harass you about photos. That looks freaking awesome Dave. GREAT job....

SWEET =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Wow that looks great! Been watching your build - you're doing a hell of a job man!

Why didn't you paint the rear bench area?

HRalston said:
Wow that looks great! Been watching your build - you're doing a hell of a job man!

Why didn't you paint the rear bench area?

Thanks,
The rear bench area and all of the decking front and rear are going to get Seadek.

Well I’m glad the paint is done and I’m real happy with the way it came out. I feel like this build is over the hump and it’s a downhill run from here but I find myself in a conundrum. My family is starting to get pissed. I haven’t seen any of my grandbabies in over a week. Plus I’m starting back in the gym tomorrow. O did I mention my girlfriend is already pissed. :LOL2:
I’ve still got a lot to do and I don’t want to shortcut anything. My short list,

#1 Mount Jack plate reinforcement panels on both sides of transom.
#2 Mount Jack plate.
#3 Fab and install floor to transom supports. “Hard to explain”
#4 Fab and install closeout panel front side of transom for outboard rigging. “Hard to explain”
#5 Mount and rig bilge pump, drill transom for livewell pump and install pump.
#6 Mount livewell, install pluming for livewell and run wiring through rigging tubes.

That’s the short list; there is a very long list after that. :LOL2: I need more hours in a day.

Yeah I finally finished this afternoon. It came out good the condition of the boat before paint it had a lot of dings and dents. All i have left is to apply some non slip after the paint cures a little bit more. I've started a new build thread......https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29580

Wow that really looks good, My girlfriend says I spend too much time in the garage working on the boat, so I feel you pain. Hey you got a pic of the paint cans.....could you explain the process.....ie primer coats, mix ratios, clear ? I want to spray my other boat and would like to know the process for the future mod.

bigwave said:
Wow that really looks good, My girlfriend says I spend too much time in the garage working on the boat, so I feel you pain. Hey you got a pic of the paint cans.....could you explain the process.....ie primer coats, mix ratios, clear ? I want to spray my other boat and would like to know the process for the future mod.

Thanks Gator and Kevin,

Kevin the first step is to sand, sand, and sand some more. :LOL2: Prep is everything. We hand sanded everything. It really depends on what the existing surface is like. Thankfully mine wasn’t too bad. You’ve got to get the surface level and free of scratches. You have to look at the surface and go from there.
If you have heavy/deep scratches you will need an aggressive sand paper and then you go to a lighter/finer paper. I was able to finish sanding with 120. Believe it or not you don’t want it to fine because you want the primer to have a little bite. Then you have to look at how the primer laid out.

I’m not expert when it comes to paint my buddy is, he really knows his chit. Anyway if the primer laid out good you just have to lightly scuff it and shoot the sealer. We used PPG sealer. The sealer acts as a base coat. We did single stage paint, no clear. We used RM paint. This is basically the same process for painting aircraft. I will get you a pic of the paint.
How is you’re project coming? I haven’t seen any updates.

I figured as much......my friend taught me a trick when it comes to making paint look good. I get the prep part......I half assed mine and rattle caned it.....but he said that once you lay the primer down you can put a single coat of white paint or any light color. Once it dries you take some 1000-1200 grit and give it a light hand sand, this will show you all the imprefections.........you then either build up the low spots with bodo or filler and re-sand for you first coat of finish. I tried it and it does work.....I was just not going to spend the money on my first mod......the next one will be like yours. Read my post today on my mod for update.....I got a good bit done will take some pics later. I made a bonehead move on the casting deck. Your paint job looks awesome.

I’ve come to the realization that the timeframe that I was hoping for to complete my build is just not going to happen,
I have a busy work schedule and I’ve been neglecting my family, my friends and my girlfriend. Besides I don’t want to start half assing it just to hurry up and meet a deadline that’s not really a deadline.

If it takes a few extra weeks or even month, it’s all good. I really do enjoy working on it but family first. I’ve just have to find a little bit more balance. I’m cutting, measuring and mounting plates of 0.125 on both sides of the transom that I’m going to mount the jack plate to. Obviously everything will be bolted through the transom. After that I need to fab some transom supports. I have a pretty good idea I hope it pans out.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    560.2 KB · Views: 889
one of the sweetest looking builds on here in my opinion... can't wait to see it when the insde is done. Gonna be one bad motha.....

Latest posts