Crystal River, FL 10/23/10

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdan

Reaction score
Got invited to go fishing with a coworker for "whatever would bite" fishing....

Started off the day running down the barge canal and out to the power plant jetty.... It was a pretty rough ride out in the 19' Century bay boat.... I dont think I woulda ventured out with my jon too far today.

Started out slow, picking up a short red at 16" followed by a couple whiting which we released... moved out to the flats to drift for some sea trout.... we caught about 30 of them using live shrimp and bass assassin soft plastics, all hovering between 12 and 15 inches... Water temp was a pefect 71 degreees... ... Wind layed down ALOT so we made the move out to some deeper water to see if the bigger trout were there... no luck.... decided to try one of the channel markers as I thought I had seen some sheepies up towards the surface... No sheepies, and after several breakoffs, I finally coaxed an 18" gag grouper from its lair.... Not a huge fish, but you know how these fish are around structure, getting this fish out on 8 lb mono t and 20 lb mono leader was a success....

On the way back in, we tried one more "promising" flat to see if we might be able to box some dinner. We had caught a ladyfish earlier that I put in the livewell for cutbait.... Brought him out and filleted him up.... We didnt find any redfish or seatrout, but we did find some sand trout.... landed two handfuls and kept the largest 3 for some dinner.
Sorry for no pics, I am on the hunt for a new camera as mine took a poop on me.

Nice report x2!!

We vacation on the Homosassa River every other year or so. This past time we drove my 14' boat up the Little Homosassa River and through the marsh to Crystal River. It's one of my favorite places to visit especially when the Tarpon are running. The only problem is my wife wants to play with the Manatees rather than me fish.

SPeck, I havnt got to see the tarpon run up here but am looking forward to it.... Hopefully it is comparable to the one we get in south florida! I havnt gotten to do any exploring on my own yet as I am trying to get my boat set up.... If all goes well, I will be getting my jackplate on weds. and meeting up with Rob from the skiff shop to test some props....