Dad forgot the %$#&^$ camera.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
Well, up in the TGIF thread, I mentioned heading up to a lake, on a boy scout camp, as my younger brother went up for an activity. This is the same place I mentioned catching eleven, in about 30 mins. a day, for four days in June. Well, about thirty minutes away from the house, dad remembers we forgot the %$#*&^ camera, but if we go back, we won't make it in time for check in. Dam. Well, we get up there on Friday night, set up camp, and I get up the next morning. Now, mind you, my dad wasn't quite certain on my catch rate in June, but was just going along with it. I roll up to the pond about 10 minutes before he gets there. As he walks up, I am pulling my 3rd little on off. He then proceeds to pull in a 1 1/2 pounder. By this point, he is no longer as sceptical. When he pulls in his 5th, and me on my 9th, I am fairly sure he believes me by then. During the heat of the day, the bite slowed a bit - rather stopped. This lake is REALLY WEEDY. The dead moss is THICK, with gaps here and there. But, we were able to find a clear spot near shore (there were little lanes, and gaps, here and there), and the light was correct, so we saw a couple sitting in there. They would not eat the worm for nothin'. I then saw the famed 5 pounder (all the real anglers, who fish it for a while, have seen it, and until then, I just thought they were BSing) Realizing that it was the heat of the day, and no matter what I threw at it, it wasn't going to eat, I started cursing it's very existence. Then, later on, the bite started heating up a bit.
On Saturday, we totaled 15 for me, and 12 for dad. All between 1/2 pound, and 2 pounds. Many of the staff members, including the ranger, were in aw when we pulled out some of the larger ones - in past years I have heard the ranger telling folks he has fished it for years, and ain't caught nothing. Many of the staff were turned off by the weeds, assuming nothing could survive. This morning, I went out for about 30 minutes, while waiting to check out, and pulled in 2 more, about a pound and a half.

All were caught on a 6 inch green punkin YUM houdini worm. (esquired's worms have yet to arrive :( )
I have to go back to the camp next weekend, but seeing as our troop is hosting all the events, I may not get to fish it. :(

Latest posts