Deck of a floor idea in a 1436 jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332876#p332876 said:
whiskerfrisker » 24 Oct 2013, 05:14[/url]"]Just spit ballin here, but what if one was to wrap the foam is a saran wrap type plastic or painters sheeting to seal the foam, of course sealing the wrap around the foam, and then installed it under the flooring? Water logged foam issue solved perhaps?

I don't think wrapping the foam would help. Condensation would build up inside the plastic and you would still have the problem. Closed cell foam seems to me to be the best option for those of us who have shallow and want to have a nice deck to fish from.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332877#p332877 said:
longshot » Today, 07:16[/url]"]Why what is the advantage to having foam in your floor?

None, other than dampening noise, vibration, and stiffening up thin floor, such as 1/16".

And of course, having additional flotation in the event of being swamped, which may not be a concern for those who fish on quiet streams or ponds, but if someone operates on large bodies of water, or where there is boat traffic capable of swamping you, it's a good idea to use foam.

That is what i use,foamboard from lowes or home depot,never once had an issue or does it ever get water logged.I use it for the same reason,were i fish you make one wrong creek,or move with my boat and the reds,trout and snook go on vacation from you in seconds.They are very spooky and no the foam doesn't take all noise away but i will tell you it helps amazingly.It's just like why they put a piece of wood on the transom of a jon boat,to try and kill off most if not all of the vibration of the outboard,same concept.

Went to my local rentz place today,they said if they line x my full piece of plywood it would be 100% waterproof and never rot as long as it stays sealed.Right around $200 for 2 pieces of plywood,do they sell it in cans were i can do it myself,maybe not as good but near somewhat close.

So if i use that stuff from an auto parts store it will work just as good for a water sealant?

It should seal it but the liner seams to chip and therefore no longer be sealed. In my opinion, aluminum, primer and paint would be comparable if not cheaper, lighter and will last longer, basically forever. Basically all the bed liner in the can will do is add a little grip. I've never applied it to wood it may soak in better and prevent chipping. But still heavier than .080-.100 aluminum.

Latest posts