Do I really "need" a casting deck?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading about the instability of added decks on smaller Jon boats; I jumped on a old Alumacraft 'crappy jon' with a flat floor [factory alum over top the ribs and up the sides] with two toolbox/pedestals topped with swivel seats. Make the floot flat.

Not really, I spend months castig for walleye, much rather feel the support of the gunwale on my thighs in a 2-3 ft chop than doing a balancing act on my casting deck.
That was a tongue in cheek comment. In 2-3 ft of chop, I won’t be on the deck either. I’ll be casting from the cockpit, maybe with my butt planted on a rear deck chair.

Two or more feet of chop, I'm looking for a protected area of the lake. If I know ahead of time, I'll stay home. I guess I'm a very spoiled flat water fisherman. :)

Two or more feet of chop, I'm looking for a protected area of the lake. If I know ahead of time, I'll stay home. I guess I'm a very spoiled flat water fisherman. :)
Unfortunately, the perch and walleye that I mostly fish for, don't bite when the lake is flat and smooth. Anything under foot and you might as well work on your tan !! Some say the calm water spooks the fish and keeps them from biting but who really knows ?

Guess maybe I'm the dummy here, but what does a casting deck get you really? So you're standing a foot higher right? Go out in your yard and cast as far as you can. Then stand on a cement block and try it. I'm thinking you may get an extra 2-3' of range. Now I can see the value of a seat on a pedestal so you don't have to stand up all day, but I really don't get why you'd want to be in a more precarious position for what seems to me to be little or no advantage.

Unfortunately, the perch and walleye that I mostly fish for, don't bite when the lake is flat and smooth. Anything under foot and you might as well work on your tan !! Some say the calm water spooks the fish and keeps them from biting but who really knows ?

Maybe they are more aware of the boat and trolling motor wash. The thinking around here is some ripple on the surface is good to help mask prop wash.

Guess maybe I'm the dummy here, but what does a casting deck get you really? So you're standing a foot higher right? Go out in your yard and cast as far as you can. Then stand on a cement block and try it. I'm thinking you may get an extra 2-3' of range. Now I can see the value of a seat on a pedestal so you don't have to stand up all day, but I really don't get why you'd want to be in a more precarious position for what seems to me to be little or no advantage.

These days, I’m the back deck guy. My son gets the front and gets to handle the trolling motor. He prefers standing and doesn’t even want a butt seat. It is more of a better viewing angle and ability to better casting using pitching or skipping techniques. These are more for getting under docks and over hanging tree limbs. Mainly for bass fishing.

It's interesting to hear your thoughts. Standing at gunnel height improves visibility and control, but stability can be an issue, particularly on smaller boats. Safety is absolutely vital.Gb Whatsapp

Thanks, I figure that was the benefit. Some of those large heavy fiberglass bass boats look like very stable platforms. My boat has a raised bow deck but it is still well below the gunnels. It is relatively stable but I'm not. Haha

@Yuven , I see you are relatively new to TinBoats -- welcome aboard.

Thanks, I figure that was the benefit. Some of those large heavy fiberglass bass boats look like very stable platforms. My boat has a raised bow deck but it is still well below the gunnels. It is relatively stable but I'm not. Haha

@Yuven , I see you are relatively new to TinBoats -- welcome aboard.

The few “real” bass boats I’ve been in, were very stable.

Spot on. I've caught the most/best fish when conditions were less than ideal.

Oh who am I crappin...it was raining and miserable!! That is until the rod tip doubles over! lol

Moosehorn 19 (72).JPGMoosehorn 19 (81).JPG

Moosehorn 19 (87).JPGMoosehorn 19 (184).JPG

The walleye my better half caught was the only pic we took in that entire 2 hours of rainy goodness. We were catchin em so fast, that we didn't have time for pics! Great times.

And for the record, YES! She will bait her own hook!! 🥰

These days, I’m the back deck guy. My son gets the front and gets to handle the trolling motor. He prefers standing and doesn’t even want a butt seat. It is more of a better viewing angle and ability to better casting using pitching or skipping techniques. These are more for getting under docks and over hanging tree limbs. Mainly for bass fishing.
Honestly I can skip baits way better sitting in the back of my jon boat than I can off the casting deck of my crestliner. I can slip baits in almost anywhere. But for pitching, yes casting deck is an advantage.

Value of the casting deck...based on my opinion only and for my Lund 14' V-hull: If I didn't have that deck, the forward position up front would be of limited use for me. I need that flat deck for comfort with my feet and ankles. The geometry of the V-hull bow would greatly reduce foot room up front. I estimate that usable deck space is 50% more for my boat than if I didn't have the flat deck.

Smooth water and fishing: The "walleye chop" is a real thing. Dead flat water might be nice to boat across, but a little breeze helps keep it from being "too smooth."

Fishing in bad weather: Nothing makes bad weather seem better or cold hands warm up faster than a fish on the line. That said, unless I've traveled for a fishing trip, like my spring Minnesota trip or to Canada in August, I won't purposely go out in bad weather. But, it depends on the situation. I'd rather fly fish in cold rain than sit in my boat on a dead flat lake at 95F.

Better viewing angle to start with. Can flip a bait underhand quite easily, and land a fish without working around the gunnel. Smaller jons won't see as much benefit since the gunnels aren't very tall to start with, but in a bigger deep-v style boat, it feels like they are always in the way when you're standing on the floor.

I feel like a 1236 is too small for a raised deck. 1448 is the bare minimum IMO. A flat floor is a worthwhile addition though.

I had a deck on my old alumacraft 1436 Lt... I took it in baby steps though... Since it was mostly just me I put my two batteries in the bow in front of the bench. Ended up just leveling out the bow but with the batteries I lost alot of space. Eventually went about 5/8" above the front deck to hide the batteries and was able to recess the trolling motor foot control... I used an old aluminum extension ladder and topped it with cedar planks... Had hatches for both batteries and one in the middle for alittle storage...

I had a deck on my old alumacraft 1436 Lt... I took it in baby steps though... Since it was mostly just me I put my two batteries in the bow in front of the bench. Ended up just leveling out the bow but with the batteries I lost alot of space. Eventually went about 5/8" above the front deck to hide the batteries and was able to recess the trolling motor foot control... I used an old aluminum extension ladder and topped it with cedar planks... Had hatches for both batteries and one in the middle for alittle storage...
That sounds like really good advice. I live on a Bass lake and just picked up a 2004 Lund 14 ft WC. Been thinking about the best way to leverage the bow with a casting deck. Old aluminum ladder play sounds perfect. Then I can use underneath for storage !