do you hate jet skis...???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peabody

Reaction score
last trip out on the lake ... we was just slowly puttin around ..close to the shore.. and three of em came blasting by...
so we moved to the other side..here they come again..rocked us pretty bad.. i yelled at em... but they never heard me.. scared my dogs and my wife.. wishes sometimes i could run em down.... sorry..rant off..

I keep a big, heavy lure with multiple treble hooks on one rod for such an occasion. (and hope I don't backlash)

I have yet to hook one but that's not because I haven't tried. :twisted:

Hillsdale lake has there share of them. I don't hate them, but they are annoying at times. I don't like the sound they make.

Rather have them around than the ski boats that never come up on plane. The wake from the JS is allot less than the big SB's.

I've been fishing in saltwater since about 1983, and riding jet skis since 1986, and what it boils down to folks, is a little thing called CFC

That stands for "Common F^#king Courtesy"

A responsible jet skiier NEVER rides in close proximity to boats, especially those who are fishing. That's the surest way to piss people off, and get clobbered by a fishing rig, or just looking for a 465 dollar ticket for negligent operation from a DNR officer. Idiot jet skiiers make for bad relations between boaters, fishermen, and jet skiiers. It only takes one or two to make us all look bad.

We all have a right to the water, and at the same time, no one person "owns" the water, that includes both jet skiiers, as well as fishermen. A jet skiier harassing a fisherman is a wildlife violation in itself (at least in SC) It amounts to "impeding the right to fish, hunt, or trap", and that not only carries a fine, but an automatic 1 year suspension of the violator's hunting and fishing licenses. On the other side of the coin, hurling fishing rigs at jet skiiers, as tempting as it may be, could amount to a charge of "aggravated assault" which is a felony. If someone hurled a rig at me, I'd be making a call to DNR and the Sheriff's Dept, and watch them cuff and stuff that person, and tote them off to jail.

Again, it boils down to courtesy and respect. A little bit on both sides, and this kind of BS can be avoided.

In closing, blaming all jet skiiers for the actions of a few irresponsible jackasses is about the same as blaming all gun owners for the actions of a few rampage shooters, and wanting to take away guns from the majority of law-abiding citizens.
That's a democrat/boot camp/elementary school mentality, to punish the majority for the actions of a few.

Sorry if that offends anyone, but I'm gonna call it like I see it, because I'm an equal opportunity offender.

I couldn't agree more with PSG-1. There are boat operators that are just as bad as some of those ski operators. You can name any piece of power equipment you want and I'd be willing to bet more than a few of us have seen an ******* operating one of them irresponsibly. But I know it does aggravate me to no end when I run in to one of those aholes and the appropriate authority is not there to handle the situation.

Karma is a sweet, sweet b!^ch ...

I launched my kayak at Fearington Point on B. Everett Jordan and started paddling out to a favorite fishing hole about a mile from the ramp. While paddling across a narrow body of the lake (about 100 yards), a JS'er kept running back and forth across my path and, more than once, threw a nice rooster tail into my boat. Fun and games for everyone. That's the jacka$$ portion of the story.

The karma portion happened when I finally got across the passage and stopped under the bridge to drop a line. I looked back (OK, I glared back) and saw Mr. Jet Ski take a wake badly and fall off his watercraft. As everyone knows, the dead-man switch only works when the driver has it attached to his clothing. The JS was making slow, wide circles around the driver who was trying to catch the craft.

I felt sorry enough for this poor guy that I paddled to him and let him hold onto my kayak while we waited for his boat to come around again. He was both thankful and embarrased.

As for my like/dislike/hatred of jet-skis, I think they should be relegated to portions of a lake where there are no other boaters/bathers. No, sir, I don't like them.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321453#p321453 said:
JMichael » Today, 11:28[/url]"]I couldn't agree more with PSG-1. There are boat operators that are just as bad as some of those ski operators. You can name any piece of power equipment you want and I'd be willing to bet more than a few of us have seen an ******* operating one of them irresponsibly. But I know it does aggravate me to no end when I run in to one of those aholes and the appropriate authority is not there to handle the situation.

+ 1000

Write down the hull id and report them to your DNR. Around here JS within 100 yards of another boat is a hefty fine and they will hunt them down to delivery it.

My co worker ran a couple down in his old glass bass boat on Lake Anna. Don't 'F' with an old fisherman with a 250 out back. DNR met him at their camp and hefty citations were given.

I fish in shallow water so don't have any problems with them.

Never been buzzed by them, but I'm also not usually out in the playground. We did have a few feel froggy enough to zip in and out of a full lineup of trolling boats pulling lines - suffice to say that while I certainly couldn't catch them, the two guys with 20' glass monsters powered with 300hp Yammies didn't have any issues at all running them down in short order. :shock:

Personally, I always kinda wanted to find a cheap used sitdown model and rig it into a go-fast spot fishing rig. Something that's easy to store, roar out to the reefs and jig a bit, possibly drift, etc. Definitely not a cold weather rig, and I'm not sure what it'd do in 2.5' or larger quick rollers, but I think it'd be fun for a bit.

I bet I'd get some looks at the ramp with a setup like that.. :lol:

Wihil ... can't remember the web site where I've seen it, but there is a guy who has an older 3-person JS that he has rigged for fishing at near-shore artificial reefs. Pretty sweet ride but I wouldn't trust a 20 mile outside trip to one motor.

why not ??- remember - the old man and the sea was in a row boat and caught a sail fish --

we have guys here that fish the ocean off seadoos --

its the little snots in the intracoastle tha pizzes me the most -- just about the time the reds bite here they come churning up the water

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321504#p321504 said:
Rich27028 » 2 minutes ago[/url]"]why not ??- remember - the old man and the sea was in a row boat and caught a sail fish --

On the subject of fishing from unconventional watercraft, one type of fishing I really enjoy is running my little Hobie Bravo sailboat in the ocean, trolling clark spoons and hopkins shorty spoons, catching spanish mackerel near shore. No engine noise to spook the fish, makes for a nice quiet ride, and lots of fun.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321449#p321449 said:
PSG-1 » 07 Jul 2013, 10:05[/url]"]I've been fishing in saltwater since about 1983, and riding jet skis since 1986, and what it boils down to folks, is a little thing called CFC

That stands for "Common F^#king Courtesy"

A responsible jet skiier NEVER rides in close proximity to boats, especially those who are fishing. That's the surest way to piss people off, and get clobbered by a fishing rig, or just looking for a 465 dollar ticket for negligent operation from a DNR officer. Idiot jet skiiers make for bad relations between boaters, fishermen, and jet skiiers. It only takes one or two to make us all look bad.

We all have a right to the water, and at the same time, no one person "owns" the water, that includes both jet skiiers, as well as fishermen. A jet skiier harassing a fisherman is a wildlife violation in itself (at least in SC) It amounts to "impeding the right to fish, hunt, or trap", and that not only carries a fine, but an automatic 1 year suspension of the violator's hunting and fishing licenses. On the other side of the coin, hurling fishing rigs at jet skiiers, as tempting as it may be, could amount to a charge of "aggravated assault" which is a felony. If someone hurled a rig at me, I'd be making a call to DNR and the Sheriff's Dept, and watch them cuff and stuff that person, and tote them off to jail.

Again, it boils down to courtesy and respect. A little bit on both sides, and this kind of BS can be avoided.

In closing, blaming all jet skiiers for the actions of a few irresponsible jackasses is about the same as blaming all gun owners for the actions of a few rampage shooters, and wanting to take away guns from the majority of law-abiding citizens.
That's a democrat/boot camp/elementary school mentality, to punish the majority for the actions of a few.

Sorry if that offends anyone, but I'm gonna call it like I see it, because I'm an equal opportunity offender.

Perfectly said.