My first real boat (88 mirrocraft project)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddybanks

Reaction score
First a little introduction and background, i am 34 years old and live in southeastern PA, i grew up around boats belonging to my fathers siblings and spent summers boating, skiing and fishing at "the lake". i also was raised and still live on a tributary creek of the Delaware river and spent ALOT of time in a canoe when i was younger. My father and i have been fishing the Delaware out of his 16ft Triton jet for about 6 years now. A couple of weeks back i had mentioned missing a good priced boat on craigslist and he mentioned that if i was looking for a boat his neighbor had a boat he didn't want and was thinking about donating and taking the deduction. Well after a couple of trips to his place to look it over and get the motor going, i drug this home yesterday for $500. Its a Mirrocraft guide classic 1654 with a mercury classic 50.

IMAG0654.jpg

first the bad, ALL of the wood needs to be replaced including the transom The boat was on the water about 3 years ago, but i am sure it was in just as rough shape then. It has been parked in a wooded lot with holes in the cover. It has been home to mice for a long time and they chewed some of the wiring, fuel lines, carpet and seats. The power tilt doesn't work and the owner said it didn't work when he last had it on the water.

rsz_1img_2214.jpg
img_2215.jpg
img_2223.jpg
img_2228.jpg
img_2231.jpg
img_2233.jpg

The good, other then a starter relay that works 50% of the time the motor starts and runs great. All of the floor joists are aluminum as well as most of the cockpit framing. The hull is a little banged up but it doesn't look like it has ever had any major damage and the galvanized trailer is in decent shape. it came with lots of goodies, two fish finders (haven't seen them work yet), three anchors (good because my dad needed one), down riggers, a big landing net and a good old ugly stick combo and two boxes. My dads neighbor has titles and paperwork for everything.

So my original plan was to just replace the decking and paint the new deck with plans to do a more intensive resto if i kept the boat for the long hall, i would have something i could not only fish out of but also load up a couple of friends and have some fun on the river. But...its looking more like i will have to completely gut the hull to replace the transom. Knowing that what else should i definitely do? the foam appears to be in decent shape, should it get replaced because its time? would it be foolish to not paint the inside of the hull while i have it open? What would you guys do? what did you wish you did?

I should add that that i have not yet paid for the boat, one of the times we were up looking at it we pulled it out of its parking spot, the owner said "what ever you do don't put it back, your taking it with you" and "if its not worth it give me what you think its worth", My father and him have a good relationship and they both help each other with whatever they need and i deer hunt his property. I have no problem with the price, i figured if i had to i could get the money out of the motor alone. dose anyone think $500 is to much?...

Thank you for reading, i am looking forward to any and all input.

Run (don't walk but run) right back to that guy's house and give him the five hundred before he changes his mind. Yes that boat may need a lot of work but IMO it's a great bargain, plus you have the opportunity to customize it to suit yourself. I just realized that you said you had the motor running. That just makes it that much greater a bargain. Man, oh man, have you fallen into something beautiful!

A great project. You,ll know what you have intimately when you are done. Price don,t bother me,yet.

Wow, you can really lose yourself looking at all the resto/conversions around here. Even though its a much bigger project then i first thought it was, i am thrilled with this boat and the chance to make it just what i want. F4F your mirro looks amazing, I am definitely having the same ideas regarding the decking finish, white/light and no carpet! I'm sure I will be referencing your build thread as i move forward. I finished removing most of the decking which i was able to pull up with my hands and started on the foam which was also soaking wet, but the good news is so far the hull looks to be tip top. I plan on starting a thread over in the mods and conversions sub forum to document the build but so far the plan is new foam, new decking, a redesigned rod locker and a taller console so i can stand and pilot the boat. Here are some shot of the deck out before i pulled the foam.

IMAG0655.jpg
IMAG0656.jpg
IMAG0658.jpg

Latest posts