Drill that boat full of holes...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done the cutting board bit a couple of times.

One suggestion is to be sure to make the cutting board oversize. You never know when you might want to add a front t'ducer or simply change your rig to something bigger.

richg99

richg99 said:
I've done the cutting board bit a couple of times.

One suggestion is to be sure to make the cutting board oversize. You never know when you might want to add a front t'ducer or simply change your rig to something bigger.

richg99
This is absolutely right. I always tell folks the same thing. Ive done the adhesive thing. Not worth the trouble. All you need is two holes. The same two holes will always be used so its not a big deal. Ive seen some swiss cheese up a transom and i dont get it. The board can always be replaced, design changed, or other things added. Ive had good luck with pvc board at home depot. Its like a 1x4 board and works perfect. Just cut a piece off and make your own transducer block.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1411911867988.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1411911867988.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 481
when using cutting boards be careful you don't buy one made from Polyethylene plastic - adhesives do not work well with it (3M makes a special epoxy product that will do it but you're looking at $35 a tube with a 10:1 mixing ratio so it's a PITA.)

Ironically the plastic board Cabelas sells for this purpose is made of that plastic - but it's intended to mount with screws and give you a surface on which to move the transducer around a bit.

I used a thru-hull transducer (for the side imaging) which required a bilge style hole straight through the bottom. According to 3M 5200 shouldn't be applied to bare aluminum, only to a primed surface, so i went the epoxy route to seal it - but with the same idea - slather it with sealant, mechanically join it and wipe away the extra. God help me if it ever needs to come off for some reason.

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=344150#p344150 said:
marlattrr » 08 Mar 2014, 05:48[/url]"]google "stern saver" basically cutting board expoxied to the boat. Works great, stern saver give you the epoxy and everything you need to install it.

It is actually made of a material called King Starboard. There are only a very few adhesives that can be used to attach it and 5200 is not one of them. Some guys use cutting board material and it will work for a while, but if left to the sun long enough, it will deteriorate, as will just about any plastic material. As with most tasks, there are two ways to do something, cheap and correctly, and unfortunately the theme of this board seems to be do it as cheap as possible.

Bonded:

834AA68A-FB99-48B5-A057-96F12FC2FA10-8186-0000096BC6A319B8_zps72d0a972.jpg

It slides up and down for depth adjustments.

I had this made to adjust my transducer up and down. If you run out of adjustment, you just drill and tap another set of holes wherever you need them.

Bob Landry said:
I had this made to adjust my transducer up and down. If you run out of adjustment, you just drill and tap another set of holes wherever you need them.

Thats slick