Dyeguy's 1648 Mod- Pics Update... DONE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you should do is leave the console and everything else you did the way it is. THEN -Build a front box kind of the shape of a triangle so it would appear the be sloping in the front. Carpet it - put a door in the front and bam you got dry storage -& also , a more areo dynamic look to it "so it doesn't look so boxy". Since you are strapped on cash this would be a cheap quick fix to it appearing so bulky. The dry box storage area idea is what you should do. I believe its the little extra attention to detail that makes peopel pay more. Plus that dry storage area is allways good for a wallet - or various other items you need to get to quick when you don't need to be getting down on the floor in the storage. Hell put a lock on it, mabey even cram a cd/radio player in there? That would be cheap and increase the resell mabey a few 100$. What do you think?

dyeguy1212 said:
I still can't decide if I should redo the console. I just hate how awkward it looks. I'm thinking I might just take it off and try to cut it down without having to recarpet and rebuild the whole thing. Heres what it might look like... What do you guys think?

I can see it now - that would look awsome and you wouldn't have to be tearing down all that hard work you put into making that console. It really doesn't look that bad. You did a great job. Go with dry storage in the front of the console.... just give it a cool sloping look - or mabey even "v" it or give it a slight curve -

Troutman3000 said:
dyeguy1212 said:
Troutman3000 said:
I dont think it looks ackward at all. Remember its not a 30k bass boat. Its a refinished tin boat that serves its purpose well, fishing. You shouldnt want to turn it into something its not, thats a lean, mean fishin machine.

I just think a more streamlined console would make it look more bassy, as opposed to tinboaty. Wouldn't take much to cut it down, but its in a comfortable position so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. To be honest, I'm more concerned about resale value than anything else right now. I saw a nitro with 100HP go for 4500 on CL the other night, so I'm intching to get this thing sold so I can get back on the market :wink:

I'll probably have to wait until mid july to sell, because I need it for the two one-on-one tournaments I'm fishing. The other 12 tournaments this year I'll be fishing in my buddy's 1854 bass tracker. (problem is, we have identical engines :lol:)

Cant really put anything bigger on that one huh?

What is a one-on-one?

Not on a college budget I can't.

One-on-one are tournaments with one angler per boat.

CHILLWILLATX said:
What you should do is leave the console and everything else you did the way it is. THEN -Build a front box kind of the shape of a triangle so it would appear the be sloping in the front. Carpet it - put a door in the front and bam you got dry storage -& also , a more areo dynamic look to it "so it doesn't look so boxy". Since you are strapped on cash this would be a cheap quick fix to it appearing so bulky. The dry box storage area idea is what you should do. I believe its the little extra attention to detail that makes peopel pay more. Plus that dry storage area is allways good for a wallet - or various other items you need to get to quick when you don't need to be getting down on the floor in the storage. Hell put a lock on it, mabey even cram a cd/radio player in there? That would be cheap and increase the resell mabey a few 100$. What do you think?

I actually fabbed one out of cardboard the other day, but I didn't like it. The slope is a good idea, but it takes up more deck space and actually makes the console look bigger and more awkward. Plus when I take someone with me, we both usually stand up front and pitch, and that is the usual coangler standing spot :lol:

I'm going to have to figure out if I can peel the carpet up and just cut it all with a circular saw. If this turns into an all out rebuild, I'll go with an entirely different design with a slope.

What about a rod holder on the front of the console? Maybe something like this. https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/...older&cm_ite=netcon&rid=2146251080&hasJS=true

If you fish with more than one rod like alot of other people, it would be a nice place to keep them while fishing, instead of them laying on the deck under feet and keep from having to move them around when you are walking on the deck.

I don't know. Just an idea.

Good idea, but those types of rod holders aren't for me. I already have two rod savers screwed into the deck, and I'm the type that likes them on the floor. But the main reason I don't use that type of rod holder is because I cast side arm most of the time, and I have trouble just clearing the fish finder, let alone three 7 foot rods :lol:

Dang! Too bad you didn't want mine. I plan on getting rid of them. I don't like the rods straight up and down in front of the console and Im contemplating adding a rod locker anyway. Well if you change your mind maybe we could make a deal with the stencils. 8)

Hey Dyeguy, I had a quick question. It is about your other mod. I figured there is a better chance of you answering here.

I'm wanting to spray on a topcoat just like you did on your other mod. Did it work fine not using a special bottom paint, but just using a Rustoleum Protective enamel?
I guess what i'm asking, was did it scratch up a bunch or chip? Or would you recommend using something different?

Are you talking about the inside or outside of the boat? On my 1432, I used a topside (marine hull) paint by pettit paints. The inside was rustoleum paint.

I really can't recommend using regular spray paint on the outside of a boat. In the long run you're more likely to run into chips and bubbles, especially if the boat is in the water for a long time. However, for the inside I highly recommend using a normal rustoleum paint. Chips and scratches are inevitable on the inside of a boat, and using a spray paint means you can touch it up very easily. In addition, it is rare to have much water exposure to the inside of the boat, outside of some in the bottom and some from rain, which is no big deal. But the outside is constantly exposed to water, and one chip could lead to a ton of paint peeling or bubbling off the bottom if you didn't use a topside paint.

The boat looks great dude. I do agree that I think it would look better with a shorter console. It shouldnt be much trouble peeling the carpet back, use a drywall knife, like 6+ inches wide and it should come off without much trouble

I might have to tear into it this week. I started on the rear deck today, and I hope to get it all sealed tomorrow. Then the walls come in, and I'm calling it done :D

Rear deck is ready to be carpeted and installed. I had a full jug of watersealer to kill off, so this deck will NEVER rot :lol:. Plus I spray painted the bracing that will be exposed when the hatches are open with a dark brown, to cover that ugly wood stain built in the watersealer. I did the same up front and like the looks of it a lot better.

The goal for tomorrow is to get the deck carpeted and installed, along with the hatches. I'm not happy with one of the hatches up front, so I'm going to really take my time to make sure I get a good fit this time (so I don't have to redo it like I plan to do with the front one). Problem is, one of my hinges I have left is about an inch too short, so I'm using it anyways with the plan to replace it when I come across a cheap SS hinge in the future.

After that the walls will go in, and then I have to rebuild the console and she's done. I am more than ready to stop dumping money into this boat :lol:

Pics to come

Latest posts