Dyeguy's 1648 Mod- Pics Update... DONE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
61 degrees and cloudy tomorrow.. getting up for my 8am class, then skipping the rest to work on the rig. Hoping to get the front deck finalized and get the cockpit deck cut out.

Got quite a bit done yesterday, even though it didn't feel like it. Got the recessed TM tray cut out of the main deck, got the storage space floor put it, got the cockpit floor cut out and put on one coat of sealer, tied up some odds and ends, and fabbed majority of the console.

I've spent a lot of time planning the console, but I'm not sure if I'll change it some more. I've combined the old console with some info I got from dearl here on TB, and this is what I've come out with. Its a lot taller than the old one, a bit wider, and a lot heavier :lol: Its going to sit about 6 inches to the left of the starboard side, so that there is space for rod tips. I didn't want my rods to be on the left side of the boat, because they would have to sit pretty far back to avoid the trolling motor when stowed, and I don't want any passengers accidentally smashing them. With the rods sitting on the left, I can keep an eye on them when moving, and they're a lot less likely to get snapped.

I may also put a small "box" to the left of the console for the fishfinder to sit on, but I'm not sure. I like a clean console top, but I'm still weighing the options. I made the top of it perfect width to accept a Cabelas windshield, but thats a ways down the road. 90 bucks for a sticker collector is out of the question at this point.

I'm at a crossroads at this point. I need to paint the gunwales with nonskid prior to putting the decks in, but its been too cold and rainy, and I don't have the money to blow on the paint right now. I'm thinking about going and buying the carpet, getting everything fitting and ready to be secured, and then wait for a few warm days to get the paint on. I also need to get the electrical run, but that depends on the finishing of the console, and the console depends on me finishing the decks... (BOOM! HEAD EXPLOSION).

I'll keep you guys updated as to whats going on... :roll:

Attachments

• img512.jpg
    img512.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,073
  • img513.jpg
    img513.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,073
  • img514.jpg
    img514.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,073
  • img515.jpg
    img515.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,073
Oh, I forgot to mention that coolest part! I'm going to put a piano hinge on the non-steeringwheel side of the console, on the top. That way, I can flip the lid and access the back of the switch panel if need be. If all goes to plan, I might be able to use it as a glove box for registration, licenses, etc.

looks good man! I think you've got the right idea with the carpeting of the console - and the piano hinge is a good idea too because it's amazing how you usually never think of that until you've already got it carpeted

Thanks russ

So after driving to two different home depots and one lowes, about 3 hours round trip, I came home with carpet today. Long story short, I went to one HD to price carpet, then to lowes. At lowes I decided I wanted to go with the 6x8" pre cut carpet (same stuff, but not on a 12' roll) but lowes only had charcoal, and I wanted light grey. So I went back to the original Home Depot, because I had seen the lighter color at a different home depot. Turns out they didnt have any of the pre cut out stuff.

Soooooo I drove to the HD closest to my house, and of course they had exactly what I wanted, for 2 bucks cheaper than lowes.

So all in all I ended up with 4 rolls of 6x8" indoor/outdoor carpet @17.xx per roll.

I also got some spray paint, because I decided I can't really afford the nonskid for the gunwales right now. Good ol rustoleum will get it done. All 3 places I went to didn;t have self etching primer though. I've literally never seen it anywhere in MI other than bass pro. Any auto parts store, hardware store (family owned or chain store), and any supermarket has never had it. I'll probably end up having to buy the stuff from BPS, which sucks because I'll have to brush it on.

Looking real good, seems like your on a good pace to finish for spring fishing, I know I worked overtime on mine to get her ready, a few nice days (forced me) to take her out and fish, Im worried that when the weather is warm enough to paint her I won't want to take her out of commision.

dyeguy1212 said:
All 3 places I went to didn;t have self etching primer though. I've literally never seen it anywhere in MI other than bass pro. Any auto parts store, hardware store (family owned or chain store), and any supermarket has never had it. I'll probably end up having to buy the stuff from BPS, which sucks because I'll have to brush it on.

Auto Zone carries it, and if your store doesn't have it, you can order it online and pick it up at your local store.

https://tinyurl.com/y9gbj5m

Thanks for the link. I'll have to have them order it, because they don't carry it. I've been in there a few times in the past month and checked every time to see if they got anything new, or had any sales.

Okay I made some progress on this rainy Saturday...

I fitted the front part of the deck and screwed it down, drilled the holes for the TM plug and the bow lights (as you'll see from the carpet pics, I put the TM plug offset to the left to keep the deck free.. I tend to put a lot of my baits in trees and on docks, so I need all the deck space I can get :roll: ). After drilling those holes, I cut a 2x6 down that the trolling motor will sit on, and positioned it to get a feel for how its going to look. I then took everything off, and carpeted it.

I drilled the holes for the livewell, including the intake at the transom, overflow and drain on the right side. I took my time and made it count, because I'd be pretty pissed at myself if I made a bad hole in the hull. But everything went well, and its ready for 5200 when it warms up a bit. The livewell was put in place and I drilled holes for the carriage bolts that will secure it. I'm going to drill one more on each side inbetween the two I already drilled, because I want it to be on lock down, so to speak.

I also got the rest of the plumbing put together for the livewell, giving it a 90 degree turn so that it makes a smooth transition to the spray bar without having huge loops in the hosing. As you'll see in the pics, the intake is just ziptied in right now, because they really don't give you a way to secure it if you're not putting it through the hull. To be honest, that's probably the way it will stay.

I spent the rest of the night shopvacing everywhere I could, to get the metal shavings and saw dust out. I'm not expecting this bilge pump motor to last very long :roll:

Like I said, still waiting on some warm weather to paint the gunwales, then the decks can be carpeted and put in place. I've decided against the carriage bolt idea for securing them, and I'm going to use teks lath screws like I did on my last mod. They almost have a finishing washer look to them, plus they're chrome so it'll flow with the livewell. I'm just looking to make it easy on myself, because the carriage bolts were fixin to give me a headache.

After the decks are secured, the console can be put in, along with the switch panel and wiring. After that, she's ready to fish! I'm going to take my time putting in the back deck and walls, because I need to allocate some funds for more tackle of tournament season. Plus I spend most of the time fishing by myself, so whats the rush?

Attachments

• IMAG0001.JPG
    IMAG0001.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 811
  • IMAG0002.JPG
    IMAG0002.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 811
  • IMAG0003.JPG
    IMAG0003.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 811
  • IMAG0004.JPG
    IMAG0004.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 811
  • IMAG0005.JPG
    IMAG0005.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 811
  • IMAG0008.JPG
    IMAG0008.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 811
  • IMAG0009.JPG
    IMAG0009.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 811
Went to autozone and had them order me some self-etching primer. Sure beats paying for shipping myself..

I also found out they sell seafoam there.. Looking forward to giving that a try. The lakes are thawing out at a pretty fast rate.. I'm expecting to be able to fish (in someone else's boat) by next weekend. Hopefully mine will be fishable by next monday.

I hate to say its not growing on me. I still have to grind down the right side of the lip that sits on the deck, because its about 3/4" longer on the latch side.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to paint the diamond plate and have it actually last. I really don't see a cheap way of doing it though.

powder coat man... it's the only thing that I know of. You might be able to find a body shop or something to do it for you though.

You are doing real good man! living above the mason dixon line does have one disadvantage, cant paint in the winter, that blows. 3 hours round trip for 2 HD's and one Lowes? Man, I can hit a half dozen Hd's and 3 or 4 lowes in that time!!!

Yeah it was a heck of a trip :roll:

Its supposed to get warmer this week, with Friday being the warmest. I'm hoping to prime Thursday and paint Friday, meaning I should be able to get the decks in and carpeted this weekend. First I need to find some cheap painters tape...