Easy No-wire Navigation Lights

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jethro said:
I'm not going to make any more waves in this thread about the red/green nav lights, but I am seeing a disturbing trend with kayakers and those in cartop boats... they are using headlamps and/or flashlights to navigate after dark. In my state that is HIGHLY illegal and it's obvious a lot of people don't understand why... to all newbie boaters- DO NOT INHIBIT MY NIGHT VISION by using a high power flashlight or headlamp as a navigation light. It's not only dangerous to others, it's illegal. Thanks to LED technology, extremely high power lights are readily available for short money and they don't realize how bright these lights can be on the surface of the water. My night vision is very important to me while travelling on my boat at night!

great comments

even though boating and fishing at night can be fun and productive I avoid it because of this type of thing

thanks

I think you could get a ticket for those lights. Simple solution would be to hang the red off port and the green off starboard. Since it's a yak, might not be enough freeboard for that.

Personally, would recommend that proper lights be used and mounted on a stanchion for better vis.

I appreciate all the input from everyone, it's clear that light idea was a bad one. I have since melted them down, burned my kayak and paddles, and turned in my fishing license. The resulting blob of what was once my pride and joy is now awaiting trash day, as it rests in my recycle bin.

Just kidding! I will just return to the original plan of using my white all-around mast light which is totally CGA, and make sure I'm back on the beach long before sundown whenever possible. The inventor inside me got loose in a bad way on the light idea, and I thank you all for pointing it out.

Cap'n Pete said:
I appreciate all the input from everyone, it's clear that light idea was a bad one. I have since melted them down, burned my kayak and paddles, and turned in my fishing license. The resulting blob of what was once my pride and joy is now awaiting trash day, as it rests in my recycle bin.

Just kidding! I will just return to the original plan of using my white all-around mast light which is totally CGA, and make sure I'm back on the beach long before sundown whenever possible. The inventor inside me got loose in a bad way on the light idea, and I thank you all for pointing it out.

I actually thought it was a good idea. Just some slight modifications needed. Good prototype though.

:LMFAO: Pete - The inventor inside me got loose in a bad way

That's funny right there, I don't care where you're from !!!

we all should have that inventors spirit and enthusiasm.
who knows, you may yet construct something that will
appeal to the multitudes and be approved by the powers at large.
Keep At It !!!