Ebay seller scamming sales tax

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that some guy is selling a refurbished AAA battery for $1,000. Free shipping. :LOL2:
[/quote]

I said AA, and that's fun, but I should really have said NiCads for power tools. It's been several years now, but I needed new batteries for my Porter-Cable and DeWalt cordless drills. Read somewhere about buying 1.5 volt individual battery cells and rebuilding the battery packs myself.

Buying good, high capacity battery packs for cordless tools is expensive and experience has taught me to bite the bullet and buy the bigger capacity because of the increased work time. The idea of spending ~$25 for a pack was "very" appealing, so I looked into it.

I nearly went nuts. An 18 volt power pack needs 13 cells = 18.5 volts. You can buy them in various mah capacities so focus on the ones that will fit in your housing. HoooBoy - some sell individual cells for $X, another for $Y.

Then Mr. Wong comes along and will sell 10 packs for $Z or 15 packs for $A. Then watch the shipping, cause it's all over the place. In the end, I did buy enuf for 2 packs.....and they turned out to be junk. They died within months.

(I won't go into the tangle of actually replacing those cells and soldering them up in the right sequence, then fitting them into the housing. I did it, but what a f--king nightmare - and I'm very handy, very experienced and had a very good shop to work in. Do yourself a favor, pay the price and buy them ready to go)

Then comes the endless debate over Chinese quality and true capacity of what's being sold.....whole 'nuther can of worms. I used batteries as an example, but many products suffer.....try buying fishing tackle online. (don't)

gogittum said:
Then comes the endless debate over Chinese quality and true capacity of what's being sold.....whole 'nuther can of worms. I used batteries as an example, but many products suffer.....try buying fishing tackle online. (don't)

One of my big complaints about online shopping is the preponderance of knockoffs from SE Asia. Especially from that large online retailer. It takes some work to wade through the stuff to find OEM. When it comes to fishing tackle, I personally will stick with known brands. I would most likely skip over new brands unless I hear from reliable sources. That is where feedback from forums like this is very useful.

Sales tax is a scam itself. The fact US states still have different tax rules is ridiculous. Instead of unifying the **** and making a business barrierless, they push outdated rules. I don't even wanna blame that eBay seller, as the guy just abused the stupid system. Thankfully, big guys like Amazon offer fixed prices for their own products, such as this light bulb https://www.amazon.com/smart-light-bulb-bulbs-color/dp/B0922Q43LY/. I really think simplifying all financial stuff is how to reduce the risk of being fooled. Instead, each year we are getting more sophisticated rules.