Electric only?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the subject. I usually think if a lake is TM only the fishing is probably better there because of less pressure, but i havent found that to be the case.

The two electric-only local places I talked about above are heavily pressured. Gettin' a bite is tough. :(

ilinimud said:
I usually think if a lake is TM only the fishing is probably better there because of less pressure, but i havent found that to be the case.

exactly, durring the work week its great(of course)

the good thing about a TM lake is its usually quieter, don't have to deal with wake as much either.

Hey ilinimud no promises(just never know what the good Lord has plan for ya) but maybe this spring we can still try to get together on a couple of those locations around me, they got biggens but, they'er biggens for a reason, can't catch them :lol:

Sounds like fun FishinBuds, i found out a IN license for me would be 35 bucks (ouch).

Ouachita, what HP is your boat? I was going to stick around the shoreline since i only have a 6hp right now, but i have plans of getting a 25hp soon. My boat is a 15' modified V.

ilinimud said:
Ouachita, what HP is your boat? I was going to stick around the shoreline since i only have a 6hp right now, but i have plans of getting a 25hp soon. My boat is a 15' modified V.
I have a 30hp Johnson on my boat. This is my mod. https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1745

Waterwings said:
Back to the subject. I usually think if a lake is TM only the fishing is probably better there because of less pressure, but i havent found that to be the case.

The two electric-only local places I talked about above are heavily pressured. Gettin' a bite is tough. :(

EVERY place I fish is heavily pressured.

A couple other things.....
As someone mentioned before, on some of our lakes it's ok to have a big motor on the boat so long as it's never cranked. The state parks allow outboards under 10hp, and the drinking reservoirs are strictly electric only. No gas motors allowed in the lake at all. I think that the fishing pressure equals out whether you are on a big lake or small, but one of the differences I see is that on some of the bigger electric only lakes (and they usually only have 1 ramp), the parts of the lake that are furthest from the ramp recieve the least amount of pressure simply due to many boats don't make those long runs on battery power. I have noticed that there was a big increase last year in jon-boat fishing popularity which I assume had something to do with the price of gas as well as the economic situation.

One of the biggest disadvantages (for me at least) on the small waters is that nearly all small lakes I fish don't have a lake map in existance, so it really takes alot of time on the water to figure them out (which I don't get enough of ](*,) ).

Big water really is no issue for small boats. I dump my 15 footer with a 40 in a 12,000 acre lake all the time, and into one up above 30,000 acres every now and then. The biggest issue is not getting run over, as in the summer, the 12000 acre lake is the 3rd most used Corps of Engineers lake in the COUNTRY. Has more boats on it annually than lakes 3+ times it's size. I have used a 12 footer with 4 horse in the Atlantic Intracoastal waterway, and have plans to take my 15 footer down to the Gulf, for a bit of inshore fishing when I get the chance.

Biggest problem I would worry about on large lakes with electric only is wind. If you get stuck out in the middle with a heavy wind, you will get pushed around a bit, often in the opposite direction from the ramp, after a long day of fishing, when your batteries are exhausted. Don't ask how I know......

Here's a Google Earth photo I've added text to. This is Lake Pee Wee, 420 acres of electric-only shallow water. The deepest part in the middle ranges from 15'-18', with depths up to 23' along the dam (SW side), and shallows of 1' from the bank out to about 30' away from the bank, on the East, North, and NNW banks in places. I've trolled my way around every bank on the lake, plus cutting across the middle also. By the end of the day (4-5 hrs for me) my batts are tired and ready to head to the ramp. Being that the lake is so shallow, if the wind picks up pretty good, there are usually small whitecaps out there, and you don't want to be out there. This lake is the main reason I have two tm's and two batteries. Backup! :wink: . Now, if I were to get caught at the far end (North side), I could pretty much beach the boat and ride the weather out, then head to the West corner to my buddies house, beach the boat, and charge the batts enough to make it back to the ramp. Trust me, I've ran this scenario through my head, lol.
normal_Recent_PeeWee_Map.JPG