Embarrassment

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wasilvers said:
Without at least a mini dock at the ramp, I don't know how I could launch and retrieve it without getting wet.

Launching is easy!
1) Tie a rope from your bow eye to the back of your trailer.
2) Back into the water until your boat floats off.
3) Pull forward until your trailer is out of the water
4) Get out and untie the rope, and beach your boat until you park.

Retrieving it is the tricky part. One of the things I have tried that kinda worked was to tie a rope from the winch post to one of the trailer guide posts sticking up out of the water. Then I drive the boat to the rope, kill the motor, and use the rope to pull myself and the boat onto the trailer. I thought I could better control the boat that way, and keep from running past the bow stop, but it didn't help much. If I can get it centered on the trailer, I can climb over the bow and into the bed of the truck without getting wet.

Henry Hefner said:
wasilvers said:
Without at least a mini dock at the ramp, I don't know how I could launch and retrieve it without getting wet.

Launching is easy!
1) Tie a rope from your bow eye to the back of your trailer.
2) Back into the water until your boat floats off.
3) Pull forward until your trailer is out of the water
4) Get out and untie the rope, and beach your boat until you park.

Retrieving it is the tricky part. One of the things I have tried that kinda worked was to tie a rope from the winch post to one of the trailer guide posts sticking up out of the water. Then I drive the boat to the rope, kill the motor, and use the rope to pull myself and the boat onto the trailer. I thought I could better control the boat that way, and keep from running past the bow stop, but it didn't help much. If I can get it centered on the trailer, I can climb over the bow and into the bed of the truck without getting wet.

I've lauched that way before, just tied the rope to the truck and floated it off. yeah, retrieval could be fun!

OK i can beat all that.My first boat a 12/13' v bottom.The first time i put it in the water no motor just a leak test.
My brother in law stopped by the house to check it out and said les go put it in the water.Well i had been drink beer all day told him he had to drive as i WILL NOT .

When we get to ramp he tells me he can't back a trailer after about 4 tries and people looking at us and waiting on us i tell him just park.
We just picked it up off the trailer and carried it to the water.I was mad as ________ and Embarrassed. I never drink when we go now........

I have helped people at the ramp several times; at least you were gracious enough of the people waiting to let him load it for ya. It's the booger eatin' morons who OBVIOUSLY can't do it, and refuse any help, that tie up the ramp for 1/2 an hour while 15 boats are waiting to launch or load that kill me.

You will get it, and someday you will be the one either laughing your butt off or helping.

He was driving and backing as when i drink i WILL NOT GET BEHIND THE WHEEL..................

It is funny now.

How about trying to unload the boat while your wife is backing up the truck into the water. I am yelling at her, and yelling at her, and yelling at her Because the boat would not come off the trailer. I finally told her to pull up and I will do it myself.

I realized I never took off the safety straps that attach the boat to the trailer. :LOL2:

She was not to happy for awhile.

Jim said:
How about trying to unload the boat while your wife is backing up the truck into the water. I am yelling at her, and yelling at her, and yelling at her Because the boat would not come off the trailer. I finally told her to pull up and I will do it myself.

I realized I never took off the safety straps that attach the boat to the trailer. :LOL2:

She was not to happy for awhile.

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who ya are!

Deadmeat said:
FishingBuds said:
Oh yea, first time I went turkey hunting I forgot my gun :oops:

The guys never let me forget it #-o
I've got a Ruger Model 77 in .270 and a Ruger 77-22 in .22. Both look nearly identical. I went deer hunting one day and only after I arrived did I realize I had brought the 77-22 and had .270 ammo.

:LOL2:

Yes, my son two years ago loaded our guns in the truck for muzzle loader season, got to oour site and BEHOLD he loaded my shot gun up!, I still say he did that on purpose, little stinker #-o

Last year I had two guys decide to work on their boats and block up the ramp.

One was pulling the boat out for the season, so they drove it from their dock at their home to the ramp with the truck, and proceeded to unload everything, clean the boat, etc IN THE ONE LANE OF THE BOAT RAMP. So their truck was blocking the ramp, and their boat was parked on the ramp, and they were cleaning - while I waited. :evil:

The other guy found out his inboard motor tilt didn't work - at the ramp. Now this I understand, but he spent an hour on the ramp trying to figure it out. Called a buddy to bring him some tools, etc. I saw them and fished for about 30 minutes, then went over and waited. Offered to help etc. He finally pulled it out of the water all the way, but still blocked the ramp. When I asked, he moved it - to the truck turnaround spot. I got to back my trailer up for a 1/4 mile from the road just to get my boat out that day. He was still there when I left. I felt bad for him though because equipment failures happen, and he had two kids wanting to go skiing. So being considerate was probably last on his mind.

Best launch I ever had was on labor day weekend. There were 4 ramps. The boat was prepped and in the water in about 1 minute. My buddy pulled it to the side while I parked the car. He had the kids in lifevests by the time I got there, I put on a vest and off we went, very painless! Retrieving it that day was something else. We sat at the dock for aobut 30-45 minutes waiting our place in line to launch/retreive. I stayed with the boat and my friend went to get the car. He found out that he couldn't back a trailer up anymore :? First try he had a wheel on the dock, second try he was pointed into the other ramp. Third try.. well it went on, Finally we just picked up the trailer and moved it straight :LOL2: The kids thougth we were supermen after that!

At least you got the trailer down the ramp. Some guys can't even do that without jackknifing the thing !! #-o