Engine slows then dies at WOT- 1960 18hp Johnson Seahorse

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another greenhorn question- what is BDC concerning the position you want me to check the pistons. Thanks again Pappy.

how do i get the flywheel off the top of the engine? Do i need a flywheel puller as stated in the repair manual? I believe i need to remove this in order to get to the head gasket, etc.

Bluegillfisher- thanks for the help.

Pappy- I will keep in mind that you will be out. I'll order the gasket and once i get it I'll let you know what's going on. Thanks for your help! Have a great time runnin you tique this weekend!!!

Update, got ignition spark checker, and flywheel puller.
Checked spark
Upper cylinder bright consistent flash, and strong light when revved motor.
Lower cylinder weak inconsistent flash, and seemed to be bright at rev, but definitely not as consistent as top cylinder. Coils looked fine, maybe the water in the lower cylinder is causing this?
I've got pictures of the ignition system below. Both coils looked clean and no cracks. i did notice one of the points looked somewhat cupped where they touch. Also seemed to be a good amount of grease near crankshaft where the wick is.
Found hole in lower unit, so will get that fixed to keep the oil clear.
Also please notice grease/oil build up behind starter on the head of the motor. Would new gaskets keep this from happening?

Attachments

• 20120729_210506.jpg
    20120729_210506.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 447
  • 20120729_210529.jpg
    20120729_210529.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 447
  • 20120729_210624.jpg
    20120729_210624.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 447
  • 20120729_210711.jpg
    20120729_210711.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 447
Your upper seal on the crankshaft is leaking. Is it the cause of your issue? Probably not.
No good way for me to tell how bad the seal is other than to tell you that the idle quality will go away first and you will start to see more oily residue on your points which will affect your ignition system integrity.
Now, get back onto the main issue.

Pappy i appreciate your help, but what kind of information are you looking for when you said "....get back onto the main issue." Are you suggesting that i replace the seal on my crankshaft and also the points due to the cupping/build up?
Do you have any suggestions as to why my lower cylinder is not keeping a good spark on the tester?

Latest posts