Engine stalling out still?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

304boy

Reaction score
I have an 84 Johnson 15 and I had never taken it out til yesterday. I coould only get it to gravity feed thru regular can after taking a medicine dropper and pushing fuel thru like a bulb would. But I got me an old mercury fuel tank ( clean) And had to use a mercury fitting on fuel tank and Johnson on motor. But I would pump bulb til tight and the motor would start right up, run few minutes then stall out. I tried just about everything I knew. I played with the low speed and it would idle smooth but then die minutes later. What do you think it could be? I think the fuel pump isn't pushing fuel. I too it off and squeezed the bulb but no fuel came thru. I don't know if the is normal

you should be able to take the fuel line off the carb and pump the primer bulb and fuel come out of the line. If not then something is plugged up.

Steve

You have an air leak in the line between the fuel tank and the engine - just enough to make it lose vacuum and stop sucking fuel.

Tighten the fittings!

OK. Thanks fellas. I will check everything. Could it be in the fuel tank like the lid? The cap fits pretty loose.

Thudpuucker, what do you mean by convert it to a single hose. Its just the connector to motor, about 4ft. of 3/8 inch hose then the bulb and then about 1ft. Of 3/8 inch hose then the connector to fuel tank. Its all in 1 line

Attachments

• IMG_20130331_210217.jpg
    IMG_20130331_210217.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 382
Hi 304boy,

I once had the same exact thing happen to me. The motor was actually running fine, but I had noticed some dry rotting and other issues with the old fuel line. I decided to just replace it with a new one as preventive maintenance. Well, when I got it put back together the bulb would prime and get hard and the motor would fire right up. Then, within a minute or two it would die. I was pulling my hair out. I'll save you the long explanation of everything I did before I figured it out. Suffice it to say, I tried everything. I suspected it was a vacuum leak as someone pointed out above, but that wasn't the case. The priming bulb has one-way valves in it. Obviously, it makes sure fuel only flows in one direction. The new bulb had an issue with one of the valves inside and it wasn't allowing a proper amount of fuel through. I primed the bulb until it got hard, and then I squeezed it as hard as I could (probably in frustration) and I heard an audible "pop". After that, it worked like a charm, and a year later I still haven't had an issue. BTW, the fuel line was made by a name brand company and was purchased off the shelf at West Marine. Just goes to show...you never can tell.

That's a good point. But here's what I found. I just unbolted the fuel pump from the motor and squeezed the bulb and nothing came out. OK. I ordered a new fuel pump kit because I got on leeroysramblings and found that the mechanic put it together all messed up. There is actually a gasket missing. Its the one that goes between the metal piece and the thin solid rubber one backed with the plastic piece and bigger spring. DUMBA**. I've got it ordered so I will let you know if it works.$75 wasted huh. I'm doing it myself from now on.

Thanks for all the help guys. I put that new fuel pump kit, needle and seat, and low speed needle retainer on today and HOLY COW! I CANT BE HAPPIER. I put it back together and primed it, she fired up(not even choked). I played around with the low speed needle and got it purring like a kitten. I let it idle for almost an hour and a half with no problems. I stopped it and looked at the plugs and I have to say that I'm really happy. Thanks again guys.