Evinrude 9.9 2 stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmacleod

Reaction score
I bought a 1996 9.9hp a little while ago for a little project. After repairing a broken reed valve going through one cylinder and causing its rings to stick, the time was to start it. I pulled and pulled and the best i can get is it seems 3 or 4 fires then dies. I believe its fuel related. It will only fire with full choke and wide open throttle. I've cleaned the carb now. Any suggestions for me to look at next?

First run a compression check....then do a spark gap check...if this is all to specs then, are the plugs wet after trying to start ? Gotta do some preliminery tests first to see if the motor is capable of running. Cleaning a carb rarely works well, a good rebuild kit with new gaskets, needle valve and seat and basic carb setup directions are far more sucessfull !!

First run a compression check....then do a spark gap check...if this is all to specs then, are the plugs wet after trying to start ? Gotta do some preliminery tests first to see if the motor is capable of running. Cleaning a carb rarely works well, a good rebuild kit with new gaskets, needle valve and seat and basic carb setup directions are far more sucessfull !!
Thanks for those ideas, I'm going to borrow a buddys carb and try it. If it works then ill definitely be treating the motor to a carb rebuild kit! Ha

Thanks again!

I had huge issues on my 1998 Merc 9.9 due to faulty fuel line. the interior lining had disintegrated, and pieces had gotten into the engine fuel intake. Took me forever to troubleshoot and finally fix. Worth checking.