Fathers Day on Chisago Lake

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breachless

Reaction score
A buddy and I headed out to Chisago Lake yesterday morning for a guilt-free morning of fishing (it's Fathers Day so this is the one day of the year I can go fishing without any chance of catching flak!)

Anyway, neither of us had ever fished this lake, but we learned that the DNR is grooming this lake to be a great bass lake, so no one is allowed to keep bass, and based on the fishing, it's working **** well! We caught bass all morning long, and quite a few of them were pretty decent fish. Here is one of them, and is about the average size of bass we were catching:

35913_137733836241538_100000147665557_415627_3141574_n.jpg

and my buddy with a nice Northern Pike he caught:

35913_137733846241537_100000147665557_415628_6838256_n.jpg

It was a great day: as you can see by the pics, the lake was like glass... Just gorgeous! And there is a lot of great structure to fish. We caught most of our fish pulling the bass up out of a submerged stump field in about 12 feet of water. I was using a weird purple french fry worm rigged texas style with a splitshot, and my buddy was using the same thing but fishing it whacky worm style.

We even managed to catch a nice walleye on a freaking plastic worm! Never seen that happen before... a pleasant surprise! I might come back here with some minnows at a later date and see if I can't put some walleye fillets in my freezer.

It was definitely some of the best fishing I have seen yet this year. Glad to know there is such a great lake so close to home: easily my new favorite lake.

Great day man.
The pike didn't part the line,wacky style WTG.
I bet you'll be there more often now.

You better believe it! I have a feeling that will be my go-to lake from now on.

And yeah: he got real lucky with that pike. It grabbed it just as he was pulling it out of some weeds and caught the pike in the side of the mouth. It was pretty funny: he got it up along side of the boat, and was just about to reach into the water to grab it when the thing got a second or third wind and just took off like a bat out of hell. I really though he was going to lose the rod and reel over the side of the boat. That thing just shot under the boat in the blink of an eye: such speed and power!

Those things can be real exciting when they get up to that size!