Filling holes with epoxy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlmood77

Reaction score
I have a few holes that needed to be filled in during my transom replacement and wanted to show how it could be done with epoxy. I used JB Weld, but any two part epoxy should work.
First, I cleaned up the surrounding area and ground the edges at an angle to help the epoxy hold with a dremel.
100_1209.jpg

Then, after cleaning both sides with some acetone, I put a piece of Duct Tape on one side of the hole. I filled the other side with some epoxy and let it set. It should be noted that a quick set epoxy should be used as this regular epoxy tends to sag on vertical surfaces.
100_1210.jpg

After the epoxy set, I pulled the tape off and put one more "coat" of epoxy on both sides.

Thanks for the post. I have some rather large holes that I will need to plug up on my project. I think I'll use the same method. I was thinking of using Bondo, but I guess epoxy would be stronger.

kentuckybassman said:
Good job!
BTW.....is that avatar a picture of your dog?

Yeah thats my dog, friend, psychologist, hunting and fishing partner :mrgreen:

Not sure that Bondo would be a great choice unless you use some screen for reinforcement.

Bondo is bad news for boats. I had some holes in my transom that I just filled with a blob of gray silicone sealant. A piece of wax paper taped to each side, with a small hole for the tip of the tube in the top of one worked great. Of course, mine was through the transom, so it also had the thickness of the wood. The 3M 5200 is great for sealing holes, but won't fill gaps, so the thicker silicone did the job perfectly, and I have considered to switching to it for many bolt sealing instances, as I it is easier to work with than the 5200.

Let us know how that worked in the long run for thin patches. Right now, I still cut and rivet a round piece of aluminum over all my non transom holes.

I did the same thing with 5 minute NAPA brand epoxy.I used masking tape.It worked better for me because it didn't try to pull the epoxy back out of the hole.BTW I did this on motorcycle parts and not a boat.