Finally getting a new (to me) tin boat, a 1436

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I have seen them done in the past is to cut like an X that you suggested but instead of just the X doing more then just two cuts. Kind of like cutting a pizza I suppose. I would guess a seat post hole maybe 4-5 cuts should be enough, then just wrap them over the edge and glue down. Maybe throw a stable or two in to hold until the glue sets then pull the staples back out.

The downside to doing that is that you need to cut a bigger hole to fit the carpet. Since the carpet is going to be under the seat base the seat base would keep it from fraying and coming back up and the screws/toggles holding the base down will also help keep the carpet from pulling away from the hole. I might just cut use some good strong glue around the hole and glue it down. Once the glue is set then cut it around the hole.

Dan, good point about the asterisk cut vs the x cut on the carpet. I'm still undecided. I still need to decide exactly where my TM plug will go, where my fishfinder wiring will run, etc. I expect to get a TON done during the long weekend, as I only have obligations on Thursday.

On a good note, I put my registration woes behind me today at lunch- got my temporary registration and should have the real deal in the mail in a week or so. =D> =D> =D> =D>

I didn't feel like messing with the deck or the floor tonight so I primered the inside of the boat. I did most of the boat except the middle and front floor because they won't be visible.

If you wonder why I have open holes in the transom, I noticed tonight that I had some non-stainless nuts and bolts. I'll have to re-paint part of the back of the boat, but it's worth it to not have problems to deal with in the future. With the bolts out, I checked the transom wood and it is rock solid- no rot at all. I'm not surprised since the boat is only a 94, I just found out from the wildlife commision.

Sorry for the slow progress lately, I'll have a lot to update this weekend. Some of you amaze me with what you are able to accomplish in short periods of time.

Attachments

• primer inside.jpg
    primer inside.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 1,525
Nice work! When I carpeted my boat I didn't want to remove the seat baseplates, so I just laid the carpet down and trimmed around the perimeter of the baseplate. I haven't had any problems with fraying of the edges since it's been done. I don't have a close-up, but here's a couple of pics:

boat_carpet_bow.JPG

boat_carpet_lower_deck.JPG

95_16_07_07_9_00_30.JPG

water wings i love your boat did you build your deck yourself or was your boat built like that i want the front of mine like that but cant figure out how to build it

Appreciate the compliment :) . As I seem to be getting lazier the older I get, this rig came decked from the factory with sheetmetal flooring. Saved a lot of time and anguish on my part. I fished it twice I think before I carpeted it, but that dang sheetmetal gets hots real quick on a sunny day! Here's a pic from the Lowe website of the boat showing the factory flooring and the hinged rear deck insert.

Roughneck_1652VT_Jon.jpg

I consider that the ultimate tin boat, really. Yours looks fantastic. I was pretty sure your decks were factory. Very cool rig.

I'm getting a lot done, and there is lots more weekend to go. I now have a bow mount foot controlled TM, and a fish finder. I bought the BPS Prowler 45 lb thrust, it has variable speed vs 5 speed (big deal to me), and is only 12V which I think is fine for this boat, since I'm not setting my rig up as electric only. For my fishfinder I bought an Eagle Fishmark 480, it has a 60 degree cone transducer and built in temperature, 480x480 resolution. I'm mounting it on the TM and it will be my only sonar for now. The best part is I got it on clearance for $149 at Gander Mountain.

I got the front deck carpeted today, as well as the middle floor. When I say "I", what I mean is, "my wife and I". Man has she been a big help and support in all this. Back to work, more later.

Attachments

• deck carpeted1.jpg
    deck carpeted1.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 1,473
Man, great job on the boat Hydrilla. It is looking great, keep up all that good work this weekend. My long weekend to work on my boat will be next weekend. Hopefully I can get half the amount done that you have and I'll be happy. :D

I've been following along lots of good advice from you! Keep the pics coming!!

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it a lot!

I've made some steady progress, some of what I'm doing now is pretty time consuming. The fishfinder is mounted and wired up, except for the transducer- it is waiting to be hooked up to the trolling motor. I built a support in the very back for the battery tray to sit on, so it doesn't damage the boat as I drive down the road. I designed and built my trolling motor bracket/support/whateveryouwanttocallit, and last night I attached the trolling motor mount to it. I think it's a sturdy and useable design. That whole assembly is just sitting on the boat right now, but you can tell in the pics how it will line up once it is bolted down. When the TM is in the water, the shaft will be about 3 1/2" from the front lip of the boat, so it has room to break away if I hit anything.

Here are a couple of pics. Again, the TM bracket isn't attached to the boat, but the TM mount is attached to the bracket. I didn't have to drill any holes to run the fishfinder cables, the front lip that supports the deck doesn't go all the way to the side, so there's enough of a gap to run the cables where I have them. No risk of anything getting crimped.

Attachments

• TM1.jpg
    TM1.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 1,513
  • fishfinder.jpg
    fishfinder.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,513
Not yet, she's a little scared of all the loud noises involved with this stuff :)

However I didn't notice this stowaway when I was taking pics of the trolling motor bracket :roll: The pic is kind of dark and so is the cat but you can see her if you look.

jasper60103 said:
Very nice and coming together as planned. No pics with the pooch, eh? :LOL2:

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,485
after a fishing trip, my dad always leaves a small dead fish or two (like carp, etc.) on the boat and the cats always come by at night for supper. I imagine yours was disappointed.

I've followed your progress throughout this modification. Great Job. Do you have a ball park $$ figure of what you have invested in the project? I could not imagine the hours invested. You ended up with something to be proud of though.

Hydrilla,

The work looks great. Something to be proud of. Now it's time to put it on the water for a test run with all the new stuff.

Got the inside painted, all coats. It is looking good. I'm going to give it a couple of days to dry, then all I have left is wiring the TM/plug, attaching the transducer, and then attaching the TM bracket, seat pedestal base, deck and floor. I fully intend to finish everything Saturday, and if it gets in the upper 40s like they are calling for, I may try to dunk it in the lake that's just a few miles from the house.

Attachments

• inside painted1.jpg
    inside painted1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,179