First Boat!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanOpi

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm brand new here but I've been reading through and looking at posts on these forums the past few days. Seems like a very helpful and nice community to be apart of.

I recently purchased my first boat off of craigslist for my local city lakes in Minneapolis. I got a 60s 14ft Seaking boat with a nice trailer for 250, which I believe is a pretty good deal on my end. The boat has a few leaks and I thought I had found them so I used two coats of Gluvit however it's still coming in the same place. I think i'm going to fill the boat up with water and see where it's coming from.

I'm currently a college student and don't have a ton of free time with summer workouts for football and working. I'm also on a budget but I'd really like to modify my boat and make it easier to stand on and make it more of a casting and trolling boat (Muskie). I have looked through many different builds and other's boats modifications. I get the general idea however I'm not sure where to start with my own boat.

I'm confused as to if the frame or deck actually gets screwed in anywhere or if it's just placed in then reinforced by either prior seats/reinforcements or new brackets installed towards the top of the boat. I guess what I'm asking is where do I start and how do i start?

I'm going to try and find and fix the leaks today and continue to read up and research other people's builds but I'm still going to need some guidance.

I don't need anything super fancy or nice either. Just to clean it up and make it a tad bit more fishable all while staying within a smaller budget.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Thank you!

Pictures: https://postimg.org/forum/images/7oplhrom/

It all depends on the boat and your plan. I attached my deck extension to my existing deck and went from there.

There are two types of floors in my builds (see links below), neither of which were difficult.

take a look.

Have fun, be safe.

Kismet, love the firefly reference on your Model F...

DanOpi, If you need some ½" marine grade plywood,vinyl, and other bits let me know. I am wrapping up a floor project for a 16' lund and I will probably have some good leftovers. I am in the north metro. PM if interested.

Not sure how to attach flooring to a boat like that, but on ones a little bigger, there are spars that you can rivet the boards too.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips and ideas guys! And I know it depends on my plan and my boat but that's why i'm asking! If i knew my plan and my boat that well, I wouldn't need help! I'm looking for a real basic modification that stabilizes my boat and makes it a bit more fishable from.

Anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks much!

You can cut your floor to fit by making a template out of cardboard taped/glued together. Then set it in and screw it to the ribs. That would make a nice platform to fish from.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=355600#p355600 said:
DanOpi » 12 Jun 2014, 17:08[/url]"]Also how could I go about mounting my trolling motor on the bow?

bow or transom mount motor?

Flip the head and put it on.
looks like you may be able to clamp bare (???).
Or put a piece of wood for extra bite (bolt to boat).
Or clamp some wood for extra mount (no bolts in boat).

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=355600#p355600 said:
DanOpi » 12 Jun 2014, 18:08[/url]"]Also how could I go about mounting my trolling motor on the bow?

015_zps9586118b.jpg

Never mind the bow mount. I used 3 pieces of angle; 2 bolted into the gunnels with one attached to the diamond plate & 1 bolted the other 2 pieces of angle & diamond plate as well. The diamond plate is bolted on one side with the Bow mounts bolts but even without the mount there it sill would be bolted down. You can attach a piece of plywood the same way & make a piece so you could clamp your trolling motor there. If I had a transom mount I'd do it the same way maybe using a piece of 2x4 & a piece of angle bolted down. This maybe a little complex for some but when you have the scrap lying around you figure why not.