First time runnin wire setup

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhargrove88

Reaction score
I have a 14 footer. My boat has a minn kota 55 lb bow mount and a 55 lb transom mount motor. I would like to carry along two batteries in the back. I also have a Garmin fishfinder I would like to install also. What do you suggest I do? My brother said that he could handle running it and setting it up. He told me to order the supplies. What materials do I need, like what gauge wires, fuse boxes, etc you guys would use. Let me know what the best way to run it is. thanks

You'll want 6 gauge wire for the trolling motors (you can get away with 8 gauge for the transom mount because its so close to the battery), and something like 14 gauge for the fish finder. You can buy an inline fuse for the fish finder, and get a 50 A breaker for the trolling motors.

You can get them several places, Just make sure you get TINNED MARINE WIRE. I have found good prices on eBay and there was a website link somewhere around here... www.tinnedmarinewire.com I think is what it was. It had good prices as well.

Wiring boats seems to be a real hot topic both here and on other forums. I see a lot of threads on the type and use of various wire. After trial and error I have found the best thing is to break down and use marine wire. Anyone that is going to wire up any kind of boat owes it to themselves to check out websites like genuinedealz.com. They have good voltage drop tables and good prices on wiring supplies. They ship quick too. I am not affiliated with them, just a satisfied customer.
As far as the wire goes, your standard wire that Lowes etc. sells will be THHN. It has good electrical characteristics but is stiff and if it is used in any saltwater application can corrode faster than the tinned marine wire. The marine tinned wire generally has more individual conductors and is very flexible. In addition the insulation is very moisture and oil resistant. Compare a cheap piece of nylon rope with a good piece of braided nylon and you will appreciate the difference.
I really like the connectors that Captain Ahab talked about, the one from Grainger. They make the connection from your #6 to the #8 or#10 trolling motor wiring pretty **** easy.One more thing, bring out the wallet and buy the correct fuse or breaker.

Yes tinned wire is what is used in most boats.
And THHN at lowe's/HD is stiff if you get solid i would use stranded as it is very flexible,and works very well.
This type wire will out last most if not all the wood that you put in the boat........

THHN will work in damp locations and in a boat damp is OK ,wet is not good..........

Latest posts