First Tin Grumman 15 ft Side Console

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigredxlt

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on a 1994 Grumman 15' Jon boat with a 15hp merc. My brother and I discovered this forum a few years back and ever since then wanted a Jon boat pretty bad. Even though the boat is ready to fish, we're probably going to end up turning it into a project. Its welded construction with riveted ribs. The hull and motor are in great shape. The merc starts on the first pull even in sub 30 degree temperatures. Didn't seem to have any problem getting on plane and cruises along just fine. Actually surprised at how fast it goes. Only complaints I have are the paint and the side console sits really low at like children's height.

List of Modifications
1) Strip and repaint in sand color
2) Pull make-shift front deck extension and extend front deck to the front bench
3) Install 2 or 3 tempress hatches (a little pricey)
4) Clean up wiring
5) Install Bilge pump (not sure why it doesn't have one already, probably because it doesn't leak)
6) Battery tray under the front deck
7) maybe some speakers to hook up an iPod
8) Really want to rip out the carpeting and redo everything with hydro turf (again pricey)
9) Kind of crazy idea but I want to convert the side console into a center console and move it up on top of the bench in front of it. I am sure people will be concerned about the space moving to the front deck. It will be tight for sure but I don't have much of girth to worry about. Biggest thing for me is deck space. Moving the console would help with balance the boat out and allow for more rear deck space.

All the framing would be done with angle/box aluminum and rivets. If I can find reasonably priced sheet aluminum, I will probably end up using plywood for the decking. Really want to keep the weight down because I'm not going to upgrade the motor any time soon, so the 15hp is going to have to push it.

20140115_171359_zpsyeyofhab.jpg

IMG_1980_zpsm5ip4nji.jpg

IMG_1978_zpssqonstjo.jpg

IMG_1981_zpspczcpbxh.jpg

having a hard time with the pictures. Some of them keep saying they are over 800 wide but I resized and they still won't load. Oh well those are the ones that work.

So this is my first boat, and the first order of business if repainting it. In order to do that I would have to removed the motor. Because this boat has a console and controls Im not sure how difficult it would be to remove and re-install. Any insight and suggestions based on the potential modifications would be appreciated. For example I don't know what a good price would be on angle or square aluminum, and the going rate for sheet aluminum.

All the completed projects look awesome and might have made my list a little ambitious.

Thanks in advance!

Also I haven't seen any similar boats like this one, and I have done a lot of searching. If anyone can point me in the right direction with some links to people's builds on similar sized boats. I'm finding that most boats this small have tiller motors.

That's a nice boat. If it were me, I would look at some of the bass tracker rebuilds & use them as a guide kinda. I would make it a mini bass tracker with my own touch.

That's a good idea. There are a bunch of good examples of rehabbed bass trackers on this forum. I saw the one bass tracker where the guy used a re purposed a truck tool box for the center console but he didn't have much info on how he routed the control cables or removal/installation

Curious... Where abouts are you from? I saw a VERY similar boat on craigslist. I really like the boat. Has some good potential, looking forward to see its progress.

I'm in the Harrisburg/Carlisle area in PA. I just bought it off craigslist.

That is a nice looking boat. Only thing I would do is extend the front deck back to the middle seat to give you more storage or cut is out for more walking space. I tell everyone about it and I still havent posted anypics but I painted my 1232 jon like a hotrod. I do body work for a living so while bored one day decided to paint my jon black on bottom and silver halfway up off a ford taurus and it has a red pinstrip separating the two colors. Ive had alot of complements on it. Id do one or the other with the deck and the middle seat and repaint it and let it go. Recarpet the back deck to match the new front and fish your balls off. use the boat this year and save your money in case you have to have repairs. Might run upon a log right under the surface and kil that lower unit then youll be out for the season as older parts are hard to find and cost even more. Upgrade it next off season if it turns out to be a good one.

That is a really nicely set-up rig.

Well-done !!!
=D> =D> =D>

So, now it works fine, and, of course, you're gonna mess with it.

(I've been a man all my life, and I still think we're kinda goofy. :) )

Really like the setup, my boat is practically identical aside from the bow. I plan to pretty much do the same as youre doing, but I'm gonna try to make a center console.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=340969#p340969 said:
bigredxlt » 06 Feb 2014, 00:57[/url]"]I'm in the Harrisburg/Carlisle area in PA. I just bought it off craigslist.
Haha yupp, small world I guess. It was on fact the one I saw on craigslist. Hope you enjoy it!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341048#p341048 said:
hawghunters » 06 Feb 2014, 23:24[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=340969#p340969 said:
bigredxlt » 06 Feb 2014, 00:57[/url]"]I'm in the Harrisburg/Carlisle area in PA. I just bought it off craigslist.
Haha yupp, small world I guess. It was on fact the one I saw on craigslist. Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks, I'm planning on it. It wasn't a steal or anything but its exactly what I was looking for and runs great and everything on it was good to go.

Latest posts