Fish Finder help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbkustom

Reaction score
When looking into fish finders what are the key things to look for. I was told that the higher the peak to peak watts the better. What else would one need to look at? The fishing I would use it for would be trolling for salmon and lake trout as well as bass. No salt water just fresh water fishing. Any help would be great. Also in looking into fish finders I noticed some indicate an RMS value, I am assuming this is some form of signal return?

Rms and peak to peak are just measurements of voltage.
RMS values times 1.414 equals the Peak value.
Peak to Peak is twice this.
7.07 volts RMS times 1.414 and then doubled is 20 volts, the Peak to Peak value.
You seem to on the right track,I'm know fishfinder guru.You might want to look into color or them side imaging finders.
How much are you looking to spend?

I really don't know how much I want to spend. I figure I will just learn about them and then shoot for the most bang for the buck method. I guess my max spending would be around $350, but I dont want to spend that much if I dont have to. I did just find this page that explains some of the things to look at, but still need more info.
https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/...29701&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

You said in your first post;catching salmon and lake trout.
That sounds like big water to me,you may want one with a gps/maps but like you said power and pixels are probably top of the list.
Alot of people upgrade with newer units may be a good time to score a nice lightly used one.

Latest posts