fish finder?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willthrill

Reaction score
I need one or more fish finders.I have a quick disconnect mount on the front and one by the console.should I buy two b/w units or one good color unit and just switch from back to front?(can't afford two color units).They are hummingbird mounts.It will be very helpful if you can recommend a certain model too.THANKS!

Welcome to the site.
My preference would be one nice fishfinder and move it back and forth.I fish normally by myself so I can't look at both at the same time.
You never mentioned a ballpark price but I think the 565 and up are color units,just make sure your mounts and transducers will handle the fish finder.

My opinion:
color is cool but you just want to see if there are fish and the depth. Also something to consider, everything is made out of plastic these days and we all know that plastic does not last forever (except in the land fills) so moving one back and forth would mean eventually something is going to wear out or break. It might take years for that to happen or it could happen within months.

I also am not fond of colored units. I would rather spend the money on a larger screen with some specific features, like GPS. Its all personal preference. I have a Hummingbird 220 I use right now. It was about $100 and works great. When I pop for the GPS unit I'll put the Humminbird 220 on the bow and the GPS unit near my captains chair so I can find my spots while driving via the big motor. The smaller unit will work great while trolling.

For a good basic fishfinder take a look at the Humminbird PiranhaMax series. My modle appears to be discontinued, however the PiranhaMax 180 is similar to mine.
HumminBird PMax 180

I like the 580 Combo unit and will one day one one like it. It'll store 3,000 way points, 50 routes, has GPS and a bunch of other features.
HumminBird 580 Combo

Latest posts