Fisher 1860AW... New Boat -- New Construction

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tore my garage, basement, house, outside - anything I could possibly tear apart - I tore it apart.

I'll get Dawson to make another - then I'll remember or find where I put the stupid thing!!

Lid Gremlins... I'm pretty sure they do exist! Now I need a Lid Gizmo!

Bass n flats said:
It's not laying on the side of I-75 is it?

wouldn't be I-75... Dawson is a straight shot down Hwy 20 for me. I for the life of me can't figure out where the dag blame thing is

Its not on your trailer is it? I found some aluminum tube sitting next to my bunk board the other day....forgot I set it there!

Take some pics of the garage and post them and we can all play where's Waldo trying to find it for you.

russ010 said:
I tore my garage, basement, house, outside - anything I could possibly tear apart - I tore it apart.

I'll get Dawson to make another - then I'll remember or find where I put the stupid thing!!

Lid Gremlins... I'm pretty sure they do exist! Now I need a Lid Gizmo!

Have you asked knomby? I've told you he is sneaky!!!

Bass n flats said:
Its not on your trailer is it? I found some aluminum tube sitting next to my bunk board the other day....forgot I set it there!

Take some pics of the garage and post them and we can all play where's Waldo trying to find it for you.

I looked all over the boat too.. in, under, around, hatches - heck I even thought it might have been wedged in with another lid, but nope. I even checked my attic (even though the last time I was up there was this past summer)

Just ordered some lid latches for the lids. If you've ever tried searching for the good stuff you find on bass boats - get ready to drop a fortune.. especially if you have as many lids as I do (12 total).

I finally found a company that worked with me for what I was looking for: latches that would hold up to the elements, so I wanted a stainless still shaft as opposed to whatever it is in bass boats that seem to corrode over time. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/SL-1000-SS-Lock-Latch-/270873264640?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f114e0200) also wanted something similar to the Perko/Whitecap latches that are in bassboats - but these are a little different and looks like I will have more room on the handle of the latch when I'm wearing gloves... not to mention some of those in bass boats kill my fingers because they get chips in them and stab your fingers

I spoke with Jim from Sarasota Quality Products. I first saw their wireless locking latches on Tacklewarehouse, but I couldn't pull myself to drop that kind of money (even though I pondered for over 2 weeks) since I'll now be storing this boat in my garage and won't be spending much time at hotels for overnight fishing trips. I started scouring the web and saw they had their products on eBay, and all at very reasonable prices - along with locking, non-locking, as well as the wireless bundles.

Here's the products - and look for them on eBay: https://www.sarasotaqp.com/

Here's the eBay store - https://stores.ebay.com/sarasota-quality-products

If you look, they have latches like I got for $14 (non-locking), but these aren't the stainless shafts like I got. I ended up getting the locking type (and they will key them all the same for you) with stainless shaft

construction is still underway on the boat.. the only progress I've really made is painting around the gunwhales and on the inside down to the decking. I'll try to take pictures tonight and post them. I still have to finish carpeting all of the decking - but the lids are carpeted, well all but the folds around the edges.

I ordered samples of carpet to try and figure out what I have... but I can't get the colors to match. I'm fairly positive what I have is 24oz carpet, and that stuff is plush!

and... the lid is still MIA

oh - the transom will have a new Motorguide SW 109 transom mount trolling motor attached to it... this will go along with the MinnKota Fortrex 101 on the bow. If this won't push it, nothing will - but I'm maxed out on the number of trolling motors I'm putting on this beast of tin

bigwave said:
Wholy trolling motors......batman

tell me about it... this boat is honestly too big for the waters I fish for tournaments... but it's great for the big lakes I fish in

Finally... the light is starting to come on at the end of the tunnel.. Weather has been very cooperative this weekend, so I got all of the lids, as well as the deck, carpeted. I'm still missing one lid (as you can see in the pictures), but I'm going over to Dawson's tomorrow to get it made, as well as to get him help me with the hinges!

All that's left after this is to finish running the wiring and hook it all up. I don't know if you can see in the pictures, but there are 3 round black grommets in the bow, on the port side near the livewell and one at the transom. These are desk grommets that I'm going to use to run all my wires up through for fish finders, trolling motor power wires, transducers, gas lines, jack plate power and who knows what else..

The middle section of the boat is unfinished, but I'm still not sure how I'm wanting to finish it yet. Right now I want to put a step on each side - in front of the tackle box, and in front of the livewell. Only reason being is because that's a pretty big step right now and my legs are tired from going up and down it so many times.

The bow trolling motor is connected to the deck with the bolts they provided, but the boat is actually tapped because the underside is not accessible.

I also need to take more pictures to show the hydroturf that is on the bow... can't believe I didn't take any pics of it - but more pics will be coming tomorrow to show all the lids and how they work. The rest of the hydroturf I have will be used inside the rod lockers so I don't get too bad boat rash on my rods & reels...

here are the pics

P1200180_zps3d4096b8.jpg

P1200181_zps95dbe253.jpg

P1200182_zps180e5507.jpg

P1200178_zpsd20e6818.jpg

P1200177_zpsa69c39ef.jpg

P1200175_zps4cd3d0f1.jpg

P1200174_zps7ac350fb.jpg

here are some tips that hopefully will help you when you go to do carpeting...

1- a heat gun (if it's cold out and the sun isn't shining) will speed up the glue to where it is more tacky and ready for placement. Just be sure you go slow, because when it's down - it's down!
On the top of the lids, I used contact cement gel and that stuff is not bad to work with, but it's awful slow to get tacky enough to where you can wrap (before using heat gun or the temperature outside/inside is right). The lid sides where the carpet is wrapped is 3m 90 adhesive spray. This is when I started the heat gun up and found out the fast process. I liked it so well, that it's what I ended up using on the whole deck - definitely sped up the carpeting job.

2- use a roller (bread dough roller or an actual carpet roller) to get the carpet down and set in place.

3- when you roll the lids on the decking, use your lids to hold pressure against itself - this will keep is just right and you can let it sit for hours while the glue sets

4- On the back deck, I measured the size of my rear platform area (63" x 78").. I cut that square out and set the whole piece of carpet down (with the lids out of the boat). Then I cut out the lids, but left the carpet long enough so that I could go back and trim after I rolled down the lid hatches. All of the back deck is in one piece. The bow is actually sectioned, but the carpet went together well.

5- When using spray adhesive, use the Frog Tape (green stuff... I tried the blue, but the adhesive soaked through). I taped the sides of the boat where the paint is after I realized I sprayed it everywhere. It also makes it easier to trim the excess off the walls, then all you have to do is pull the tape and vacuum.

I'm sure there's more I'm leaving off, but I'll try to add more as I think of it.

Jr Branham said:
Very Nice!!! Did you paint just the gunnel rail?

yes, just the gunwhale and the inside walls are painted right now. I used Rustoleum Metallic Textured paint for that. I put about 4-5 light coats on - then went over that with 5-6 coats of clear. The clear really made it stand out and added the gloss to it... it also took most of the textured feeling out of it, but I actually liked it for a little grip.

The rest of the boat will be painted when the weather gets nice, so it will be a few months before I start spraying the Petit Easy Poxy.. I think I'm actually going to use black over the whole outside (black out) instead of painting it burgandy like I had planned before... more to come on that later - but we finally came up with a name for the boat

You're gunna need a doormat to wipe feet on :LOL2:

Boat looks great man. A couple questions....

russ010 said:
3- when you roll the lids on the decking, use your lids to hold pressure against itself - this will keep is just right and you can let it sit for hours while the glue sets

I don't follow you here.

russ010 said:
- but we finally came up with a name for the boat

Well........

Brine said:
You're gunna need a doormat to wipe feet on :LOL2:

Boat looks great man. A couple questions....

russ010 said:

I don't follow you here.

russ010 said:
- but we finally came up with a name for the boat

Well........

If you have the deck carpeted, you can put the lids in and use the deck to hold the carpet tight against the lids allowing the glue to set.

As far as the name... I was going to paint this burgandy and black, but I think now that I'm going to paint the whole boat black and call it....

intimidatorSS.jpg

Awesome job Russ.....I know you are going to fish mostly electric, but you need a nice big ole engine off the back of that thing. =D>

Latest posts