Fishfinder Suggestions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfouty

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to purchase a fishfinder for a 14' foot jon boat. Looked through Bass Pro, lots of units to choose from. Lots of different options. Have never owned one or used one, don't know which options would be most useful or necessary. Would like to stay under $500, suggestions would be apprecaited.

Thanks,
Todd

The Eagle Fishmark 320 is a good unit for $150. I would start with something similar.

Jim said:
$500 is allot, you can choose from allot. Have you narrowed it down to a few choices?

I really have no idea where to start, each unit seems to have different features and capabilities. Some have color screens, some are rate pixels as 320 x 240, others say up to 640 pixels. How would these two compare. Different brands also have trade marked terminology like ultrascroll, seethru, echo enhancement and so fourth. I thought if you guys gave me a few names of your favorites, it would be easier to narrow the field. I don't necessarily want to spend $500, but didn't want to end up with a unit that i wouldn't be happy with. Thanks

Depends on what your using it for.
My unit is 320 by 320 pixels 2000 watt peak to peak,got for around $200,probably cheaper now(535 hummingbird).
For the size lake and type fish I go after,this is doing me fine.
Bigger water after salmon/trout/walleye,I might of wanted a unit with more capablities.(color,gps,side sonar,more pixels,power).
Most of my fishing is 30' and up and 90% is probably 15' and up.
I have only been using the unit for finding humps,ledges,drop offs...don't really trust the markings as fish,yet.I only used this finder for this season.

Like Zum said, there are a lot of fish finders out there that will be dynamite for shallower waters.

IMO, those super high pixel units would shine in deeper water. There's not much of anything in my area that is over 30' deep so I have no need for one of the ultra expensive units.

I honestly can't imagine a picture (for my waters) being any better than the Eagle 320 that I have on the bow, unless it was a color unit. I have to say, I like the display and the daylight visibility of a lot of the color units on the market now.

I will be fishing small lakes, quarries and ponds, as you guys mentioned, won't be in water deeper than 30'. Sounds like color display is the way to go. Thanks for your input. Todd

For small water, a $150.00 b&w unit is fine. Color is nice but I'm not sure that in shallow water it really gives you any advantage.

I run a Humminbird 525 on my rig, and the deepest water I fish occasionally is no more than 25' at the most, but I spend most of the time in much shallower water, such as 1' - 5'. The 525 (B&W display) works fine for me as I use the unit mostly to let me know the depth anyway.

sounds like you are going to be fishing a lot of the same waters I am... color does make a difference - I fished a Humminbird 727 for a few months, then upgraded to one of the new Lowrance HD units. I can clearly see all creek channels because it changes colors, as well as trees, humps and a lot of other stuff I never saw with the b&w unit. Get the largest pixel you can afford, and I wouldn't go any smaller than a 5" screen if you have $500 to give up. I paid $550 for my finder and transducer, but I would look at some of the Garmin color units with the largest pixels you can afford... that is where you get the clearest picture and can actually tell what it is you're looking at

I run a Eagle 320 like some of the others have mentioned and I'm really happy with it. 40' is maybe the max depth I typically fish, so its fine.

I'm eventually wanting to get a nice unit for my dash(i'm running a el cheapo eagle 168 at the moment). But mainly wanting to get a good one for the GPS capabilities.

russ010 said:
but I would look at some of the Garmin color units with the largest pixels you can afford... that is where you get the clearest picture and can actually tell what it is you're looking at

Just to clarify Russ, I think you mean largest pixel COUNTS, not largest pixels as that would indicate a lower resolution and less detail...

I'm interested in this subject too because my old Humminbird LCR 2000 (circa 1981) bit the dust last weekend and I'm on the hunt now too. I'm thinking that a listing of the most important specs for a quality sonar unit (maybe at various pricepoints?) posted as a sticky would help those "out of the know" like me so we could get an idea of what is important and what isn't. I'm not looking for a "BUY THIS" list, I'm just trying to understand this technology and there's so much fluff out there spouted by each of the manufacturers, like tfouty mentioned - "ultrascroll, seethru, echo enhancement..." that it gets confusing very fast.

If I get a chance, I may try to research and do this myself but if anyone has a working knowledge of this subject please chime in!

Mike

I got a HB 565 for around 2 bills that works good. It's a 5" B&W model, works good. See your jig on the screen.

If you have sporting goods stores in your area,watch the sunday news paper.They will have super specials in their flyers.Some areas have sunday sales to try to get people in the store.

Latest posts