Flat Chines

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterboy

Reaction score
Afew questions:

My trailer has only center rollers and 2 bunk boards for support. Looked under the boat to find that the center rollers are causing the center chine to have flat spots. So is it best to just ditch the center rollers and brackets and just use the two bunk boards for support while towing the boat? Is it likely that just leaving all as it is now will cause chine flatten too much and somehow split? Am I worring about nothing and should go go fishing? :p :p :p

Also, I notice many trailer 2x4 bunk images have the bunks "upside" on the 2" side rather than the 4" side, does one side offer an advantage over the other when towing.... and or loading the boat back onto the trailer?

just a few thoughts rolling around in my noggin :lol:

Attachments

• rollers.jpg
    rollers.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,254
I've never owned a trailer with the bunks turned up like you are talking about. You need the weight spread out over a wide bunk, not concentrated on a 2x4 edge.

That center roller is there to keep your boat from banging off of the trailer when loading. It also needs some form of support in the middle. Maybe it needs to be adjusted down just a hair but it sounds like the adjustment has already been done if it has flattened your chine to compensate. :lol: Is that a rubber roller or urethane?

Ditch the rollers and put a cross bunk up front. The main bunks on my trailer are on edge.

Waterwings said:
Is that the original trailer for your boat?

As far as I know it is, 1st owner purchased the rig in 1985/86 and he passed, so, the son sold it to owner #2 who kept it under carport for 1 1/2 years and now it's mine.

Quackrstackr said:
That center roller is there to keep your boat from banging off of the trailer when loading. It also needs some form of support in the middle. Maybe it needs to be adjusted down just a hair but it sounds like the adjustment has already been done if it has flattened your chine to compensate. :lol: Is that a rubber roller or urethane?

All the rollers are rubber and look in great shape, no cracking or such, it's just that it bugs me knowing the pressure of the of the chine on the roller seems to be too much during bumpy tows.

Loose the rollers. Flat bottoms and mod vees don't need rollers, and from my experience, work best without them. Make your bunks longer, up to the point at which the boat starts to slope up. If the bunks are long enough, the boat isn't going to scrape the tongue. You'll likely find the boat might load a little easier, and you won't be placing the weight of the boat on the weakest part of the boat (the inner ribs contact the hull only on the flat spots, thus the bunks support the structure of the boat - rollers contacting the ribs are relying on the thin skin of the hull to support the boat)

bassboy1 said:
the inner ribs contact the hull only on the flat spots, thus the bunks support the structure of the boat

Just took a look and this makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Time to jack the boat in the driveway, add longer bunks and remove rollers.

Had to go out and take a closer look at my boat.
I use a roller as well but noticed my center chine is not "totally" part of the boat...
It's welded seperatly to the boat,not like the rest of the chines that are molded right in the boat.
Not sure if there difference structurely,mine has some marks on it as well from general use and loading.

yeah zum, I'm going to just lower all the roller brackets rather than remove them because that would be just more junk stored in my shed and we don't want that. And I just found out that the rollers are on what is called a strake and not the chine.

Attachments

• normal_JON_BOAT_TERMINOLOGY.JPG
    normal_JON_BOAT_TERMINOLOGY.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,168
bassboy1 said:
Loose the rollers. Flat bottoms and mod vees don't need rollers, and from my experience, work best without them. Make your bunks longer, up to the point at which the boat starts to slope up. If the bunks are long enough, the boat isn't going to scrape the tongue. You'll likely find the boat might load a little easier, and you won't be placing the weight of the boat on the weakest part of the boat (the inner ribs contact the hull only on the flat spots, thus the bunks support the structure of the boat - rollers contacting the ribs are relying on the thin skin of the hull to support the boat)
Winner, winner, this is the right answer!!!!

Latest posts