Fluorocarbon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
I'm finally giving in and trying Berkley 100% Fluoro(15lb) for pitching. I have to see for myself if this is the reason I keep getting my butt kicked besides fishing from the back of the boat.

Not to steal the thread but I'm interested in knowing if anybody is using a heavier flurocarbon for pickeral/pike,musky fishing....no steel leader.

I loaded two spinning reels with floro - one in 6 or8 pounds and one in 12.

I really like the 6/8 lb, casts well/far, catches fish, is hard to break.

The 12, well, I don't like it. Used it today and it kept spinning off the reel to fast and limiting cast distance.

It does seem like it would be great for pike without a leader. But I haven't tried it.

Might respool with 6/8 on the reel. Just really don't like the 12 lb line (Cabela's brand - if that matters)

Flouro is the best thing since sliced bread! Gotta have it, there is no way i could ever go back to mono...thanks to Russ! :lol: Interested to see what you think of the Berkley, i havent tried it. Almost broke down and bought some Sunline Sniper FC. 29 bucks for 200 yards talked me out of it though. I am with the Vicious right now, and i really like it. I am going to try the Seaugar Red Label when i need to re-spool, but i dont want to rip off what i have to try it.

I dont use a spinning reel for anything, but i imagine it would kinda suck for that. I think someone has made some just for spinning gear, but you know how that goes.

Zum said:
Not to steal the thread but I'm interested in knowing if anybody is using a heavier flurocarbon for pickeral/pike,musky fishing....no steel leader.

Alot of musky guys are now using heavy(80# +) floro leaders for musky leaders instead of wire. I personally use, from what i've researched, one of the best pre-made leaders you can buy. They are made out of 130# Seaguar Floro. They offer 100, 130, and 150# test line.

shamoo - don't base your thoughts of fluoro on Berkley... some people like it, but I for one HATE it! I like the Seaguar Red Label for the price ($12), abrasion resistance, knot strength and the diameter. 15# line that I throw is like throwing out 10-12# mono... and it sinks fast. I use 15# for everthing I do except for topwater

Ive used trilene products practically my whole life, Ive tried tons of other brands but keep finding my way back to the xt, I haven't tried the fluoro yet, so id like to know what you think when you get the chance to give it a try.

fluoro is supposedly more "invisible" underwater, and people thinks it makes a difference. I personally don't believe this, but to each thier own.

It's also a smaller diameter than mono, so a 15# diameter, it basically equivalent to that of 12# mono... so you can throw a higher weighted line and not lose the diameter.

Fluoro also is heavier, so it will sink faster - good if you are a texas rig fisher and want to keep your baits on the bottom... I use a lighter jig weight than most people too - so a 1/4oz that people throw with mono, is almost the same as me throwing a 3/16oz with 15# mono... and it does fall a little slower.

Next is crankbait fishing... if your lure says it will dive 9-12', that's pretty much based on 10# mono line. I don't throw line that small, and if you throw that lure on 12# mono, it will run pretty much 9'. I throw that same lure on a 15# fluoro and I actually achieve 12' with a good Medium action rod and a looong cast. You can pretty much figure 6"-1' more depth when running on fluoro. So that same 9-12' depth crankbait will run closer to 10-13' on a 10# fluoro line.

It's more abrasion resistent than mono (in some instances) and the knot strength is sometimes better, but that depends on the brand that you are using.

IMO Flouro is far more sensitive than Mono also. Some people may not agree, but i think it helps transmit virbations better.

ilinimud said:
IMO Flouro is far more sensitive than Mono also. Some people may not agree, but i think it helps transmit virbations better.

that was the other reason I was trying to come up with when I wrote the other post... good job ili

Latest posts