Flushing kit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All you need are some muffs and a garden hose

If you are running in FW no need to flush anyway

Outboard-Engine-Flushing-Muffs-medium.jpg

West Marine has several designed for the smaller Mercs. The first one is designed to be used with the motor at idle, the second is not to be used with the motor running

https://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/56175?&cid=chanintel&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=56175

Mercflush.jpg

https://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/134616?&cid=chanintel&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=134616

Smallflusher.jpg

I can get away with the bugger set of muffs on my 90HP, but the kicker can get flushed while running in a small barrel. I only flush my motors after running in the Fox Chain as there is a lot of sediment in the water. When I run in Lake Michigan I don't flush as the water is very clean.

If it is brown - flush it down!

As an ex-hippie I am sure Popeye knows little about flushing :shock: :shock: :shock:

Popeye, I think mine would take the one like in your first picture. I don't see an holes on the sides of the lower that would allow the use of muffs. I think mine is using a cavitation plate. There are holes in the plate that make me think so, and I cannot find any other place for water to enter. If I want to run higher rpms I guess I would have to run it in a garbage can or something.

Generally there is a plug you remove to use the one in the second picture. You must remove the plug, screw the flush kit on and then when you are done flushing the motor you replace the plug. There is no need to run the motor above an idle when just flushing the motor.

A late 80s motor probably won't have the screw fitting for flushing. I don't think that was seen on motors until the 90s, and I think it was first seen on motors designed for saltwater, before it was found on the rest.

If you don't have the vents on the side, the standard "muffs" Ahab posted won't do you much good. I am assuming your Merc has the same style of water intake, that enters on the bottom of the cav plate, like a lot of the pin drive Johnnyrudes have. If so, I have always run those in a barrel, but I would like some feedback on the new style flusher for those (first one Popeye posted), as it is much easier than filling a trash can daily when I am down at the coast.

Latest posts