Foam help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleTinny

Reaction score
Hey guys, had a few questions about adding foam to my 12' flat floor. I'm not putting in a wood floor because I need to keep things super light. However I would like to put down carpet, but it will be awkward laying it over the ribs and bare floor, so I was thinking about laying down some type of light styrofoam between ribs, so the carpet would lay flat. I've read the foam will add better footing, sound deadening, but does it also add buoyancy/flotation to the boat too?

My other question is what type of styrofoam do you guys use? I'm looking for something I could find fairly priced in like a Home Depot or lowes. Any suggestions? I probably don't need more than a 4x8 piece to cut up.

Thanks guys

Use closed cell foam to minimize water absorption...HD and Lowes have it...not regular styrofoam. The foam will not help with buoyancy, of course, but it will help with flotation in the event the boat swamps...but only if the foam is secured to the hull. Otherwise the foam will just float away. For more info see the FOAM sticky at the beginning of this forum.

Thanks for the info, I'll check that stuff out next time I'm in HD. Just want to fill the areas between ribs to make an even surface. I'll put a water resistant adhesive between the floor and foam, and after the carpeting is done, I'm going to rivet light aluminum angle iron to the benches to keep it locked it place, and a few strips of flat aluminum riveted across the top of each rib to lock each piece of foam and carpet in.

Latest posts