Fog lights???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbakerinc

Reaction score
What kind of issues would arise from getting some car fog lights and bow mounting them for like mini headlights for the boat.

Would they draw too much juice from the batt.????

I was thinking either like "KC" style baja lights or little projector fog lights.

I have a set of 3 1/2" lights that go on for hunting season, they do draw some juice though. If you are running them on a seperate battery or not for long periods of time then you'll be fine. Now the 6" round Baja lights are a no no, they draw a lot of juice I found that one out the hard way :lol:

I'm not sure it matters but where you from?
Some states/provinces don't allow fog lights/headlights on the boat.
Bow(red/green) and anchor/running light (white).. ..spot lights are okay.
I see alot of duckhunting and bow hunting rigs with headlights though so it probably doesn't matter.
Find out what wattage the lights run and you can figure out how many amps it will draw.

I've got a set of 6" KC Daylighters for the early morning duck hunts. Really helps to see the pesky stumps that tend to sneak up on you. Mine are 110w and they're pretty thirsty but I only use them on the run to my spots. Once I get there and figure out how I want my spread set up, they get shut off. They're run on a battery seperate from my crankin battery just in case... I mounted them on a pair of jeep hood brackets to get a little more elevation off the deck. ILight Spacing.JPGLight Wires.JPGLight Spacing 2.JPG

You might want to consider a hand held light as an option. I know that there are times that just need a light, but most of the time I go out hunting, I do not need lights. Some will even argue that by using lights, you will see less. (They throw your eyes off.) Having a GPS also helps you run with out head lights.

KRS

I mounted up some small foglights 55w a piece. look ok..lol like some eyes on my boat or something. I also have wired in a 12 lighter to the batt. too for handheld spotlight if needed.

I wired in a cheap set of the 55w fog lights from Wal Mart on my build. I used those because they were just laying around the garage. But I have since ripped them off and will replace them with something stronger. I have been looking at the 110w KC lights. Like some guys above, I will only be using them during duck season on my way to the hunting spot. The lights are the only thing that will use any battery during the winter because I don't use the trolling motor.

Get LED type, i have a spot light by Vision X that put out 21 LED Watts that is equivalent to 200 Halogen Watts...but the difference is that the LED draws only ...1.7 Amps !....myne is a 60* patern but you can get it in a 10* and 30* i believe...even NASA uses stuff from Vision X.
Dan