"Forming" or bending a jonboat into a different creature

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parsleap

Reaction score
Tinboaters let me ask you this: I have a concept of turning a small flatbottom jon into something of a low profile layout boat, similar in concept to an old Alumacraft Ducker. I propose to do this by essentially "disjointing" the seams at the four corners of the boat, and folding the sides inward (cutting and reforming and refastening along the way, of course). What are the major issues with this that you see? I see bending down a entire 10 or 12' sidewall as being difficult and probably not clean, but I am interested more in a functional, low-profile, lightweight, and most of all CHEAP (read free) aluminum boat than I am in aesthetics. Could just cut a johnboat off shorter all the way round I guess, but the bending of the metal I thought might get me the somewhat enclosed cockpit. Give me your thoughts... thanks!

On a free or very cheap boat I'd try it. The worst that can happen is you scrap the aluminum.
I have seen on www.duckboats.net someone do a wooden frame covered with thin plywood on a small jon boat.