Found some nice used 2strokes or new 4stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
I've been on the market for a while now as a few people know for a 20hp 4stroke suzuki.I have been doing a ton of research on them and they seem to be the wave of the future as far as 4stroke portables.I've been browsing craigslist and have come across a ton of 25hp 2stroke yamahas in just premo condition.I found one that is a 2007 in i mean as new as condition as you can get,barely a drop of paint off the prop and not a scratch on it.

The thing is that they want $2300 which to me is borderline going a bit over.There is some crazy nutty people out there asking close to $3500 for like a 2007 or 2008 25hp 2stroke yamaha so i guess $2300 is pretty reasonable knowing that and the 25hp 2stroke merc is probally the most in demand portables around.Yes i know that that motor would run for probally at least 20+yrs,i can get a brand new 20hp suzuki for around $2600,the question is would it be worth the extra few bucks for the suzuki,as it will be brand new out of the box vs a used motor but i have all the confidence in the world in yamaha.Plus the suzuki has a 3yr warranty and the thing i like most is you know whats been done to it,you know it's not been abused or beat to death and well taken care of out of the box.The motor is going on a lowe 1436L which is rated for a 20hp but i'm going to upgrade to a larger boat here in the next few mths,i want a 1542 alumacraft or a 1442 g3 flat bottom both rated for a 25hp.I'm not really sure if the suzuki will have enough pep for a loaded down 1442 or 1542.I know the yamaha willo have more then plenty.

So my dilemma goes on.I'm starting to realize speed isn't everything but i want to at least be able to run in fast enough if a storm brews here in fl.I fig a 25hp on the lowe would be scary fast so i would prob not open it all the way up and the suzuki would do say 22 to 26mph with 2 people,gear and motor.Ive been told the wider the boat actually the better it plains and you may actually get a better speed.I'ts just tough to invest $2600 in a motor your not 100%sure of,i wish someone had actual first hand data,like mph on a boat and how the pep is out of the hole,that would be awesome.

Any help would be great.

A 25hp on any of the boats you mentioned won't be scary fast. I ran a 25hp on a 12' Klamath v-hull for years and it ran about right.
The difference between a 20hp motor and a 25 would only be a few mph top end max. The 25 will have a lot more lower end power to get you going especially if you have a heavy load.

So you think the dif between a 20 and 25hp would only be a few mph even know the 20hp would be a 4stroke vs a 25hp 2stroke?The 20hp suzuki has peaked my interest so much but i just don't have hard data on it on how it really performs.I wish i could find someone who has one first hand.

I just happen to run into a 15hp 4stroke merc brand new in the box for $2100,it's a non current 2012 model they are blowing them out,that seems like the way to go if i go any way.I just stumbled on to it by accident today.I really like the mercs for it's power and ratchet tilt system were you don't have to move a tilt pin up and down on like most of all the portables.Plus it comes with the standard 3yr warranty.Man hard to pass that up.

$2600 for that Suzuki is an awesome deal. They are going for $3000 around here. That Suzuki weighs less than 100#, 80#'s less than the Yamaha 4-stroke and 10# less than the 2-stroke.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317578#p317578 said:
scoobeb » Today, 00:40[/url]"]So you think the dif between a 20 and 25hp would only be a few mph even know the 20hp would be a 4stroke vs a 25hp 2stroke?The 20hp suzuki has peaked my interest so much but i just don't have hard data on it on how it really performs.I wish i could find someone who has one first hand.

I tested a 15hp Evinrude and a 25hp Evinrude on the same boat with the same load on the same day. The 25hp motor only ran a few mph faster on GPS then the 15hp motor. However the 25hp motor took off way faster and if I was cruising at half speed and nailed the throttle it would get to WOT quickly while the 15hp motor would take a while to get to top speed.

Just talk to a rep on onlineoutboards.com just to get his opinion or facts he may know on the new suzuki vs the merc.He said they can't keep the 15/20hp suzuki's in stock their selling so fast,the efi on that motor is catching the eyes of people.He loves mercs over all the motors they sell but he said the suzuki is so far more in demand.They tested all their motors and his claims were the throttle response on the suzuki is so fast that the hole shot is tremendous.At just 97lbs,the power to weight ratio is awesome.Like i said he's a flat out merc lover but would buy the suzuki over any portable 20hp today in his words.

He said they tested the 2 motors on the same 14ft jon boat,the suzuki and merc was to powerful for the light weight so it went into over rev mode and they had to upgrade to a 11pitch insted of the standard 10pitch.The suzuki was a tad better out of the hole because of the efi response time was faster then the carb but overall top end was darn near the same as the merc at just under 28mph,flat bottom boat(190lbs)1 person(210lbs),3 gallon fuel tank,battery and bare bone boat,in other words no gear.

The suzuki starts up in nearly half a pull,much quieter at idle,Uses an average of 15%less fuel at wot then the merc,Plus the merc is 115lbs compared to 97lbs of the suzuki.He said they are both awesome motors but the suzuki is a much better buy especially at almost $400 cheaper.

That was all in the reps finding and facts that he told me,so i'm just passing it on to anyone who might have interest in this motor as i do.Now i have to just make a choice on what i know and have seen in price.

Good info. There could be a difference in how the motors perform if tested on a boat with a heavier load.
I think the Merc a re-badged Tohatsu. I would lean towards the Suzuki as well. Do they make a 25hp motor?

My info above was wrong. I tested a 9.9 motor and a 15 hp motor (not a 25hp motor). A 25hp motor pushes my decked 15' v-hull at about 27 mph. That's the boat, me (180 lbs) and about 400 pounds of tackle, batteries, TM, etc.

Yes the merc is a tohatsu with merc decals,the dif is the features thats it.They both have the same exact powerhead,If you want to get right down to the nitty gritty the nissan,merc,tohatsu and new evinrude 4stroke are all made by tohatsu and have the exact same powerhead.The merc to me i like the most because of the ratchet tilt system,to me i think it's priceless not to have to move a tilt pin up and down but to just move the outboard itself up and down.Saves alot of time and pain in the back.