Free motor, well almost

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howard, dont waiste your money on a prop. There was a longshaft extension on ebay the other day for 135.00. The same piece fits from 71 to 99 or something along that line.

Would that be midsection, longer drive shaft, and exhaust tuner? Very good price if it includes all of that.

Complete kit runs around $300. Too much IMO for what I want to accomplish. Trade or lowering transon is what I will do, this will not cost me.

As you can see I went ahead and cut the transom. Plans are to cap and weld it. Hope this works! Nice thing is I found my wood to be in great shape as it was in question. Previous owner used it in salt water so now I can better flush out between the wood and aluminum.

Attachments

• IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_1155.JPG
    IMG_1155.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_1156.JPG
    IMG_1156.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_1157.JPG
    IMG_1157.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 486
Howard said:
Well, problem solved. Did a test run tonight and I'm a happy tin man :)
Awesome. Probably get a little better performance if you notch it back a spot or two to get it up a little higher. But if your happy with then thats all that matters.

Probably get a little better performance if you notch it back a spot or two to get it up a little higher. But if your happy with then thats all that matters.

Plate is now a 1 1/2" below hull. I was wondering if raising it a a couple of inches would help. Always heard it should be as close to even as possible. Just cut a bit to much buch can fill ....

Took ya' long enough to cut it! Was mentioned to you back on March 28th! Just teasing a little. Glad it worked out for you. Yes, you can pick up some performance with raising the engine. Would urge you to run the boat for a while and figure out where everything will end up (weightwise) and add everything you are going to add prior to raising the engine. When an engine is raised, in order to gain the most performance, keep in mind that you may have to modify or purchase a new propeller as well. There are several Jackplate manufacturers out there for you to choose from. I normally use Bob's adjustable plates when doing this. A ballpark figure on where your cavitation plate will end up will be around 1.5 - 2" above the bottom. This is measured with the plate parallel to the bottom, not trimmed in or out.

Latest posts