Fuel Consumption/speed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robby D

Reaction score
im curious about the Etec motors that are out....i read alot of different things and i havent seen an official factory statement on fuel consumption for these motors. all i hear is "its as good or better than 4 stroke" (im not sure i buy it the way they try to play the marketing game).

anyone have real numbers for Etec Motors fuel consumption?

My buddy has a 15 horse 08' 4 stroke merc on a 14 foot jon
we took it out and went 20 miles or so up and down the mississippi on about a gallon of gas and its carburated(merc quotes fuel consumption at 1.4 or so gal/hr wot).....his boat is really light and we only had 3 gallon tank with us... top speed was close to 30mph im guessing(we were keeping up , or going slightly better or worse with traffic on a 30 mph road along the river.)

i know i was pretty impressed with the new 15 horse 4 stroke....the weight thing is really a non issue when you factor in that you can get away with using a 3 gal tank compared to 6 or more gallons with the old 2 strokes.

i know they dont make a 15 etec but what can someone expect from a 30 etec?

tohatsu's 2 stroke M40 at wide open gets 4.3 gal/hr the M30 gets 3.4 gal/hr
the tohatsu TLDI 2stroke 40 horse gets 4.02 gal/hr
a 4 stroke 30 gets 2.75

for guys that own and use Etec what does the etec get fuel wise for you? ....

my father recently bought a 2010 30hp 4 stoke Tohatsu... i found good price for him so he went with it. he or i hasnt had it out yet but i will report back what i feel about the performance..... it will be mounted to a older mid 70s
16 ft polarcraft with a aluminum dec welded up front

we are both curious about etec...but have a hard time finding real world info on them so are skeptic?
how come there marketing seems shady to me?

i like 2 strokes...i like the optimax... and to me the TLDI tohatsu seem like they would be the gap filler sinse merc doesnt offer there brand of small optimax motor?.....but whats the real scoop on these etec????

Actually Evinrude has now come out with a 15hp ho etec, but really it is a detuned 25/30. On the evinrude website the 30etec uses 2.65 gallons per hour, which is really kinda good. Im partial to the etecs, not because I own one, but because I know and hear alot of the background to them. The evinrude is a solid engine backed by a great warrenty so I would for sure go for the etec over that other chinese crap.

Kobie said:
Actually Evinrude has now come out with a 15hp ho etec, but really it is a detuned 25/30. On the evinrude website the 30etec uses 2.65 gallons per hour, which is really kinda good. Im partial to the etecs, not because I own one, but because I know and hear alot of the background to them. The evinrude is a solid engine backed by a great warrenty so I would for sure go for the etec over that other chinese crap.

i guess its a detuned 30....the 15ho etec over 170lbs.....why would they do that???? might as well buy the 30 etec.
that doesnt make any sense to me.

where do you get the fuel consumption info i cant find it for etec?

what motors are Chinese Junk????

When you go to the etec website and view the 30 etec, click the performance reports tab then look at the respective boat. Each boat has a table with the speeds, fuel usage, mpg, and the like.

Evinrude has now closed all of their shops in China, so everyone of their motors are American made. While on the other side Mercury closed their plant in Wisconsin (still on going discussion though) only to open another in asia. The 15ho was designed for walleye boat as trolling motors, note the fast tilt speed (7 sec full up to full down), and 56 amp output. I really like everything about the new 15's but the weight is major drawback. The mercury's and tohastu are ok motors, so don't get me wrong, but I support American companies who are moving forward with their innovation.

Latest posts