Fuel tank issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwassman

Reaction score
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/download/file.php?id=34050&mode=view/photo-5.JPG
Any body ever had a fuel tank custom made? I want one that would fit in betwean the ribs of my boat u can see in the pic above. If it sat flush with the top it would give me about 10 gal of fuel. Any tips as to where i would start. Ive talked to a couple af fab companies that quoated me a price the was a little more than i have to spare ($500) plus. If anyone knows a reasonable aluminum welder in la, ms , or al im interested, i work all over so i could give them my biusness

Love the way the ribs are made in that hull,what brand of boat is it? You might want to go back to the boat's buider with the idea, as they would have the equipment and people to make it, and their material cost would be lower than a small shop. That said, if You know anybody who can get You a 4'x8' sheet of 5052 1/8" alum. ,the tank can be built out of that ( including baffles) and have drops to use for other things like mounting tabs,etc. Any competent sheet metal shop could cut and brake the tank in 2 pcs.( + baffles). The next task would be to find a good welding shop for alum., such as a hotrod fab. shop, airplane repair shop, or a buddy who can weld alum. The most expensive part would be the the sheet of alum., unless You can find salvage drops @ a fab shop. Here in NE. IN., a new sheet is about $250, and with the people I know, You'd still have about $400 in the project. You might look on Ebay for a salvaged tank that could be modified to fit. Some things to plan ahead for are, the fuel pickup and allow for clearance for that, where the tank should set to make weight distribution as neutral as possible ( and the dimensions will change form one form rib to rib), as well as fuel line routing. If You're going to extend the deck, I'd probably go with a 12 gal. plastic tank. Hope this gives You a place to start, and achieve the goal. You've got a great looking boat to start on, so press on and keep us informed with a lot of pictures.

Great idea! That there's a Weldbilt boat if my eyes aren't deceiving me. I may have to look into it for my Weldbilt. Keep us posted!

I'm not sure of what size capacity tank you are looking for but I would lean towards buying one the is just wide enough to fit in between your ribs and strap it down. I am finding out from my alum boat mod that fabricating aluminum boxes and TIG welding is not cheap, unless you have your own brake and TIG welder. Also, just for comparison if you go the custom route, I can tell you I paid $180 for a 4'x8' sheet of 5052 aluminum, and paid another $100 to have a 2'x5' section cut and put 3 bends in it. I thought that reasonable. Also I was quoted $93 an hour for a good TIG welder. Hope this helps.

Can you fit an off the shelf plastic fuel tank in between the ribs? Moeler topside tanks come in a 9 gallon and 3 different 12 gallon tanks. Then they have several below the deck tanks but they cost more. I used one of the 12 gallon tanks under my front deck.

Attachments

• IMG_5431.JPG
    IMG_5431.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 836
Thanks guys, yall have given me a little insight i wasnt aware of, yea can already see that there may not be an inexpensive route to take with this. It may equal out the same as ordering a custom tank but that wouldnt be as fun and might not be exactly the way i want it.
If my math is correct then if the tank filled the space leaving 1/8-1/4" for insulation betwean the hull and toped out flush with the ribs it would give me 9.5...... Gal fuel capacity.

Yes i also like the rib desighn on this jon, it will make it very easy to install a floor and they make they hull SOLID, the company that makes the boat is ALWELD out of arkansas. Ive been pleased with it so far on every thing except for the factory paint wares out easily. i just ran a ratchet strap across it on the trailer when i left the dealer and when i got home it had rubbed the paint off :? . Not a big factor i was repainting it any way.
Ive also considered molding my own plastic tank, it wouldnt be that dificult if i coild find a plastic that was easy to work with and that would sit up strong, most tank like moeller topside tanks are made from high density polyethylene, but it takes certain types of equipment to mold it. Ive seen veideos on u tube of plastics made of resins that are combined then poured into the cast and left to dry. If i could make teo peice mold then steal all the baffles from and old tank, things would work out just right

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Can you fit an off the shelf plastic fuel tank in between the ribs? Moeler topside tanks come in a 9 gallon and 3 different 12 gallon tanks. Then they have several below the deck tanks but they cost more. I used one of the 12 gallon tanks under my front deck.

They do make tanks that could fit betwean them but would stick up a good bit, i wish my boat had a front storage comartment on it that large so i couldput a tank like that in it. The only way i could do that would be to cut a hatch on the top of my deck and i have to say i would be extreamly nervouse cutting on my brand new boat. but that could be the rout i take are there any other post that cover s topic like this, cutting out then replacing as a watter tight hatch? And would it hurt the integrity of my fishing deck doing this?

Check out summitracing.com. they have 100s of plastic and aluminum fuel cells for drag racing. Just put in how many gallons you want and then start picking the right dimensions. tons of other options as well.